PDA

View Full Version : Nervous newbie!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

JCT53
07-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi everyone!
I have been doing Aikido for about a year and a half now and thought it would be helpful to read what more experienced people had to say. So far it has :) I am very much attached to Aikido! I annoy my friends to death with my constant chatter that they don't get! (More than once they have asked me why I can't talk about normal teenage things and I just laugh and say that they aren't as... as Aikido talk) So far I'm loving it! And, I have an AMAZING teacher who helps me with everything! (I have a Tae Kwon Do tournament soon and he even helped me perfect my kicks :D ) My only problem is that there is a Sensei coming from Japan and my Sensei want's me to test in front of him :dead: I am really nervous! Any advice for the clueless :confused:

Thanks,
Jess

ninjaqutie
07-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Welcome. I will reach my year and a half mark in September. :D Like you, I am thoroughly enjoying my aikido journey. As far as tips, just do your best to relax and enjoy the moment. I have only tested once and I was nervous as hell! Once the test started, I kind of forgot about it being a test as I was so focused on doing everything right. It was as if I was in my own little world. :) Once the test ended, I got nervous again and was convinced that I had failed. I passed. Best of luck. Don't stress about it too much. Most of the time, when teachers ask you to test, they already think you are at that rank and feel confident you can perform the test.

akiy
07-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi Jessica,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

JCT53
07-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the advice! The weird part is that for the other two tests I have been completly confident untill after as well!! I was convinced that the testing pannel would say I failed! :dead: But, I passed! :D Now, though, with Satoh Shihan coming, I am truly affaraid that can't deliver my moves on the spot with the amount of technical precision I need :blush: but, your right, because as my teacher says "He will never put us in a situation that we will embarras him" Thanks for the advice :D it will help me :)

Michael Hackett
07-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Jess,

If you're talking about Andy Sato Shihan, you have nothing to worry about. He is demanding and exacting, but he also understands exactly where each student is at each stage of development. He's also one of the most approachable "big dogs" I've met. You will get a fair test. Good luck on the exam.

JCT53
07-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Jess,

If you're talking about Andy Sato Shihan... Good luck on the exam.

No, it is Tadayuki Satoh Shihan that will be testing me so, :( really nervous! Now you make me want to mean Andy Sato Shihan!! And thanks,
I have a feeling I'll need it :dead:

Michael Hackett
07-24-2010, 10:41 PM
Just showed my ignorance! Nevertheless, good luck on your exam. My bet is that Satoh Shihan isn't expecting you to perform like a godan and your sensei has you ready.

JCT53
07-25-2010, 08:02 PM
No not ignorance!!!! And thank you! You right, I need to trust my sensei :)

JCT53
08-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Hey, I just wanted to update you! I passed my test! My paranoia turned out to be all for augh. Satoh Sensei was really nice and I really liked it.

Larry Cuvin
08-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Congratulation Jessica!

JJF
08-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Hi everyone!
I annoy my friends to death with my constant chatter that they don't get!

My only problem is that there is a Sensei coming from Japan and my Sensei want's me to test in front of him :dead: I am really nervous! Any advice for the clueless :confused:

Thanks,
Jess

Jess... welcome to this forum.. now use it as an outlet for your chatter - that's what we do... then go talk about make-up or whatnot with your other friends.. it's important to keep a connection to 'the rest of the world' ;)

Regarding the grading.. don't worry. Spend your mental energy on the curriculum and the practice. The test is just at point in time and space where you practice with a slightly elevated pressure - but if you do your best and have fun, then it dosen't matter who's sitting at the table.

- JJ

ninjaqutie
08-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Congrats on passing!!! :D That wasn't so bad after all huh? I will be the same way when testing rolls around though... HAHA.

JCT53
08-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks! And, I'm happt to hace somewhere to chatter :)