PDA

View Full Version : The Seattle Cop Controversy

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Buck
06-18-2010, 10:15 AM
The video showing the incident of him punching a woman in the face. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSt0iOOFzC0)

I don't want to break forum protocol so I am starting a new thread. I am assuming the reader is familiar to this story, and has read through the other thread on this topic in the General Forum section. I don't know if this incident is going to live any longer in the media then it already has. But I have read that Seattle PD for the past two year or so is under fire for police brutality. I guess it is Seattle's turn. With that back story I am wondering if this incident, was bait.

Let me explain, according to those on this forum who live in Seattle it is pretty well know there is a zero tolerance for Jay walking. SPD is under fire, and walking on eggs for claims of police brutality. You have defiant teens (fully aware of SPD's situation) and who can be very belligerent and defiant under certain circumstances. A reputation I have heard of some years ago.

So, after watch the vid many times analyzing the situation, I noticed somethings. First, there are many teens and twenty somethings who posted the vid on you tube prefacing it with an act of police brutality. Second, at about 1:37 in the vid, the women who was punched is looking on in the back ground with both hands to her side, then she walks toward the camera and holds her nose as if it was bleeding. Then the camera shifts off of her for about 3 seconds and then we see her walking back not holding her nose.
Third, the camera man and other men looking on, are antagonizing, and a bit verbally belligerent to the cop, after the cop punches the attacking women in pink. All this leads me to believe they where baiting an incident.

Teens will challenge authority and are well prepared for that challenge. They know the situation and capable of manipulation, full well understanding the power of propaganda and the internet. They challenge say the Jay walking law and wait to be confronted. When confronted they react, not knowing or fully comprehending the situation or the outcome, they play to the camera. They know the strongest court in the land is that of public opinion.

I believe this incident was a jack pot for these teens, when the cop hit the women in Pink who I feel her actions where permeative among other teens at the scene.

Maybe this permeative action of the teens will back fire in the public opinion court.

Buck
06-18-2010, 10:57 AM
The post (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?p=259500#post259500)

Looks like I am in a minority but from a non-USA and non-law enforcement viewpoint it looked like an inappropriate angry reaction by the officer at a time when the woman was moving away from him. It did not get him any closer to a successful outcome. A law enforcement officer punching someone who is not an immediate threat is indefensible. His training was inadequate. I suspect it will be an expensive punch for Seattle.

Good point, the counter is that the woman in pink had assaulted the cop first. She was interfering in the arrest, and attacked the cop. He reacted. Maybe, it was not the best way, and hence the public attention. But, it did two things, I say this outside of my personal belief Aikido would have been effective in this situation. First, it sent a message to the women the cop was serious. If she was going to engage him a second time he would strike her. He wouldn't handle her the same way as the woman in black. The second thing, it showed the crowd this cop will fight back if attacked. That in its self is controversial because it could have back fired on the cop, and the crowd angered would have engaged into the ordeal. So the punch was a dangerous risk and probably not the best choice by the cop. But, hell he is human, and he didn't KO her, and she recovered from the punch very quickly.

Another thing is the cop could have used another weapon on both women, i.e. a taser. I think he would have been justified. There would have been no police brutality complaints. Honestly, I would prefer that punch to a taser.

Agree the punch wasn't effective in controlling the second women who was going for round two with the cop but was pulled away. But it did send a message this cop would if attacked fight back. That is if he was attacked by a more formidable opponent he might shoot them. There was some control as a result of the cop punching the woman. Probably, not the best choice, and clearly not the worse choice available to the cop.

niall
06-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi Buck - jumping threads. Yes I agree it would have been difficult for anyone to complain if the officer had decided a taser was appropriate in that situation. I've never been tasered - is it worse than a punch in the face?!

Janet Rosen
06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
I've never been tasered - is it worse than a punch in the face?!

I've taken punches. My husband has been tasered (not by a cop...don't ask...). I know many people who have been peppersprayed.

All things considered, and assuming its not a full out TKO but your basic bloody nose, I'd rather take the punch.