PDA

View Full Version : Shin Gi Tai ichi

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Tsunemori
05-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Hi,
Does anybody can tell me more about this?

Adam Huss
05-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Have never heard of this term before. Sounds like it has to do with the development of mind, technique, and body. Do you have the kanji? Where did you get this from?

Osu!

Adam Huss
05-14-2010, 09:46 AM
...not sure what ichi references. Maybe its some kind of training exercise. I googled this term and got a lot of references to Bujinkan which, if I'm not mistaken, is some kind of "ninjitsu" associated with someone named Hatsumi Sensei. Mostly in the form of dojo names.

niall
05-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Yes Adam's right - the normal meanings are:

shin = heart/mind/spirit usually
gi = technique
tai = body
ichi = one

so you have to unify your spirit technique and body - make them one

Adam Huss
05-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Oh ok, I see where ichi comes from then. What is the kanji for gi?

akiy
05-14-2010, 12:09 PM
"Gi" == 技 in this case. Also read as "waza."

-- Jun

David Partington
05-14-2010, 01:36 PM
There is a Shin Gi Tai aikido association in the UK.

The Shin Gi Tai Aikido Society, under the direction of its Principal Coach David Gwynn Jones was, until 1990, known as the Aikido Society of Wales. However, due to the growth of this organisation, involving the inclusion of a number of clubs outside the Principality of Wales, the decision was made to rename the organisation with the all encompassing title of Shin Gi Tai Aikido Society. Shin Gi Tai meaning:- Spirit, Technique and Body. The three being inseparable parts of the whole. The style practised incorporates Traditional Aikido with the modern concept of "Ki" training thus making the style relaxed, flowing and dynamic.

Adam Huss
05-14-2010, 04:13 PM
"Gi" == 技 in this case. Also read as "waza."

-- Jun

Thank you!

phitruong
05-16-2010, 09:49 AM
i need new reading glasses. thought i saw shi* gi ichi which i thought related to jock itch. ichi ayeiii, jockstrap go! :)

TheAikidoka
08-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I am a member of the, Shin Gi Tai Aikido society, and there are more than one interpratation of this, I have herd Senei Jones call it aikido with mind and body co-ordinated, technique with mind and body flow. I beleive it is derived from talks with Koichi tohei, Who was a major influence on Sensei Jones early Aikido career, When Tohei sensei came up with the concept "the mind leads the body", which he learned under the tempukai and nakamura sensei. the shin or spirit, is the dynamanism in which the technique is applied, soft hard slow fast, dynamic, basic. gi is mind and Tai is body. I hop this makes it a little clearer, and I appologise for spelling mistakes :)

Yours in Budo

Andy B

ramenboy
08-17-2010, 08:29 PM
the first time i saw this used was in an interview with seishiro endo in an old aikido journal mag.

'mind, technique and body are one'

petersk
08-31-2010, 06:54 PM
心技体一致
Unification of mind, technique and body

"ichi" is actually "icchi"