PDA

View Full Version : Aikido philosophy and Freud's psychoanalysis philosophy

Please visit our sponsor:

KonstantinY
04-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Hello everyone,
I have found here some interesting conversation on the topic of link and common issues between Aikido philosophy and Z. Freud's psychoanalysis philosophy.
Some references were made to the literature , articles etc. about the issue but I can not trace them any longer. Please join the discussion, if you have any ideas, opinion

aikidoc
04-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Does that mean I'm going to have to be on the couch for ever?

RED
04-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Not much a fan of Freud.
He was a bit squirrely... o_0

bernardkwan
04-27-2010, 08:00 PM
He would have had a lot to say about waving a sword around looking for "openings".

Janet Rosen
04-27-2010, 08:18 PM
I have to say, in all honesty, I don't see any similarity or common ground.

dps
04-27-2010, 08:33 PM
I have to say, in all honesty, I don't see any similarity or common ground.

You never met an Aikidoka with a super ego?

David

C. David Henderson
04-27-2010, 09:08 PM
id would help if you didn't joke around.

Michael Hackett
04-28-2010, 12:03 AM
And sometimes a sword is just a sword.....

Aiki1
04-28-2010, 12:16 AM
You'd find more in looking at Jung than Freud, unless you want to apply simple analytical personality theory to Aikido to understand motivational response patterns.... etc. Erroneous I think in the long run.

osaya
04-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Hello everyone,
I have found here some interesting conversation on the topic of link and common issues between Aikido philosophy and Z. Freud's psychoanalysis philosophy.
Some references were made to the literature , articles etc. about the issue but I can not trace them any longer. Please join the discussion, if you have any ideas, opinion

Hi Konstantin, I can't say about Freud specifically, but I certainly find great commonalities between aikido and psychotherapy generally. The connection/relationship between tori/uke, the physical and psychological atemi, zanshin/awareness/presence, etc...

Well, then again, aikido's principles are meant to be universal anyway eh?

SeiserL
04-28-2010, 04:48 AM
I am curious about what you found.
As far as I know Freud never studied Aikido and O'Sensei never studied Freud.
But according to "string theory" its all connected.

dps
04-28-2010, 04:54 AM
I talked with my wife who is a licensed counselor and a former Aikidoka and she did not think there was a parallel with psychoanalysis and aikido. I guess it would depend on what you think the philosophy of Aikido is and how it fits in with your beliefs. O'sensei certainly attached his religious and philosophical ideas to his Aikido..

You might want to read Richard Strozzi-Heckler's book "The Anatomy of Change".

As far as using Aikido as therapy, my wife used to run children groups with a local karate school that was successful. She could have done the same with any martial art or sport.

David

C. David Henderson
04-28-2010, 09:16 AM
You'd find more in looking at Jung than Freud, unless you want to apply simple analytical personality theory to Aikido to understand motivational response patterns.... etc. Erroneous I think in the long run.

Good points. Somewhere around here someone started a thread about Jung's Red Book, IIRC.