PDA

View Full Version : How to cover visible bruises?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

CarrieP
04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Usually, I don't care if my forearms get bruised/scratched up a bit. However, in less than 2 weeks, I am a bridesmaid in my friend's wedding.The dress is sleeveless, so I'll be showing off my arms (which look quite toned and awesome from my training) quite prominently.

I'm already going to miss a fair bit of class the weekend of the wedding, so I really don't want to avoid training the week before the nuptuals.

Bruises aren't a sure thing, but they're more likely than not, especially on my elbows and lower arms. They're not horrible, but they are somewhat dark, blotchy, and definitely noticeable.

So, does anyone have any good suggestions on how I might make these less visible for the wedding? Any tips on how to cover them up with foundation? Or would the best strategy just be to confidently ignore them?

dave9nine
04-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi Carrie,
you can try Arnica, which is a natural homeopathic medicine used exactly for bruising and minor injury.
It comes in either gel form or pellets for ingesting. i recommend the gel, which can be rubbed on the bruises--it has been shown to work effectively for bruises.
cheers.
-d

CarrieP
04-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Dave,

Thank you for the information on Arnica. It seems to be an herbal remedy that has some anti-inflammatoy properties, which would definitely be good on bruises.

One thing though: I'm not sure it is a homeopathic remedy. My understanding is homeopathic always means diluting the active ingredient of a substance with water, to where it is undetectable in the sample.

Herbal remedies I'm willing to keep an open mind about, but drinking water, not so much unless I'm dehydrated and/or thirsty.

Michael Hackett
04-13-2010, 11:56 AM
I use the arnica gel for bruising and I also take Traumeel orally for the same purpose. Traumeel contains arnica too.

ninjaqutie
04-13-2010, 12:07 PM
If you are wanting to conceal them, go to a store (Macy's, Sephora, etc) and see if they have Dermablend. It is full coverage and will work wonderfully to cover your bruising. It is commonly used for spider veins, bruising, allergic reactions, Rosacea, uneven skin, scars, tattoos, etc. I have also used my bare minerals makeup to cover bruising as well. You could also just get a wrap or cardigan to wear during the reception (provided you find one dressy enough to go well with your dress).

Here is there site if you want to learn a bit more about it
http://www.dermablend.com/beforeandafter/

CarrieP
04-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the information, all. Much appreciated.

I will have about 5 days between my last class and the wedding, so hopefully any bruises I get will be mostly gone by then. But anything to make that happen just a touch faster will be a bit of insurance.

Pauliina Lievonen
04-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Arnica works well for me, it does speed up the process for healing bruises a bit. but it doesn't make them magically disappear overnight. ;) So investigating a good cover up make up sounds like a good idea, too. :)

kvaak
Pauliina

Janet Rosen
04-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Arnica gel will speed resolution of existing bruises, but if you might get fresh bruises within a few days of the event, yes the dermablend is your best bet.

RED
04-13-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm having the same problem for my wedding. I got aikido bumps and bruises, mixed witg burn scars from a past cook job.I found a make up called tattoo camo.tattoocamo.com

it is made to cover up tattoos, but it works wonders on scars, burns marks and bruises!

Keith Larman
04-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I was going to say that if Uke bruises you, cover it up with their blood. But that might not be in the whole wedding day spirit... ;)

Sorry, I was just remembering a young girl who was a student of mine. One day in class I noticed a really large blood stain on her gi. I pointed it out and she just looked at me and said "oh, don't worry, it's not mine..." I just laughed and explained that I needed to know where it came from in case they were still bleeding...

Sadly she went off to study out of state.

Sam Turnage
04-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Arnica and DMSO and a cover-up if need be

CarrieP
04-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the tips, everybody.

I'm going to see what I can do to get some cover-up this weekend. Will also be working with foundation I currently have at home to see if that will work. No sense buying stuff if something on hand will do just as well.

Also, I may try the arnica. And ice. Lots of ice.

donhebert
04-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Here a reply I made to an old thread on bruising:

A friend of mine once showed me that Vics Vap-O-Rub will cause an older bruise to disappear. I have tried this once or twice and was surprised to find that it actually works - if you miss a spot it will retain the bruised color. Now, I consider Vics Vap-O-Run to be a somewhat weird substance and I'm not sure if helps any with the healing process, but it does seem to remove bruises.

Don Hebert

lbb
04-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Another approach is to ask your ukes to lighten up a bit as you approach the occasion -- give your existing bruises a chance to heal without picking up any new ones.

Michael Hackett
04-15-2010, 04:35 PM
If VapoRub works, then Windex must be killer!

Michael Hackett
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
There's a tattoo artist on television named Kat Von D and she has a line of tattoo coverup make-up that might be worth looking at if the bruises aren't healing fast enough. She's covered with tats, including her face and she did a photo shoot with her cosmetic applied and all of her tattoos became virtually invisible. A thought anyway. No matter what you do, it won't make up for the traditional ugly bridesmaid dresses.

eyrie
04-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Hirudoid cream

RED
04-17-2010, 10:12 PM
There's a tattoo artist on television named Kat Von D and she has a line of tattoo coverup make-up that might be worth looking at if the bruises aren't healing fast enough. She's covered with tats, including her face and she did a photo shoot with her cosmetic applied and all of her tattoos became virtually invisible. A thought anyway. No matter what you do, it won't make up for the traditional ugly bridesmaid dresses.

Yeah that's the stuff I posted. I love that stuff.

I bought it for my wedding and swear by it.

CarrieP
04-22-2010, 07:37 AM
It turns out, the last class before the wedding, we did about an hour and a half of conditioning, and very little aikido. So, in a way, the instructor did lighten up on us (though not to hear my knees tell it). And I am pretty much bruise-free. Yay!

I'm definitely going to check out cover-up makeup for the future, though. For bruises, and if i ever get a tattoo that needs to be covered up.

Janet Rosen
04-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Carolyn, thanks for posting a follow up!