View Full Version : Leaning ?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

03-08-2010, 05:34 AM
I Attended a course yesterday (7th March) and i can safely say that i have never felt so fufilled from an aikido sesion.
The course was tought by Sensei Tony Sergeant 6th dan Iwama Ryu. Sensei sergeant is a great teacher and has alot of expertise to teach us.

This year his focus was on leaning and posture. He helped us realise how 'rubbish' our posture was using techniques such as koshinage and kitenage. Last year his theme was footwork so this year really interwined and tought us more than we cared to realise.

I believed that my posture and balance was good and I was as solid as a 70 tonne bolder, how wrong and nieve I was.

He tought us how to feel rooted to the ground and to be one with the ground. To feel so solid as to be a 200 yr old tree. I felt so satisfied by the end of the course.

My point here is that matter how good you think your posture is you should seriuosly look at it and re-evaluate your technique posture.

Im glad I had the oppertunity to realise this early in my aikido career rather than later and into bad habbits.
I also got some satisfaction seing other dan grades being corrected in their posture. Guilty pleasure :P

Trish Greene
03-08-2010, 10:44 AM
So after having this training, what is your definition of having good posture?

03-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I find that good posture comes from my centre, my lower back and my uper legs. I feel the energy running down my legs, through the balls of my feet and deep into the ground. I feel the energy running through my arms, through my wrists (tino henko ending posture) and rooting into the soil beneath me.

03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
For me, aikido is filled with these little "lightbulb moments". Sometimes it is good to re-learn that you really have much yet to learn.

03-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Posture rooting and alignment are very important for power and stability. Any time your body gets too far over your hips you lose ground connection and stability.

03-09-2010, 12:15 AM
In that posture, how free are your legs to move?

03-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Your legs are free to move as per normal its usual irimi tencan posture.