PDA

View Full Version : British Birankai N.E. Aikikai Friendship Course, 3/28/2010

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

AikiWeb System
03-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Posted 2010-02-26 03:02:38 by Joe Curran

The British Birankai N.E. Area is holding a one day Course in Durham.

Instruction by J.Curran 6th Dan Shidoin.Arthur Lockyear 4th Dan Shidoin, Malcolm Blackwood 3rd Dan Fukoshidoin and Eddie Hodgson 3rd Dan Fukoshidoin.The date is 28 March 2010. 10 am -2,00 pm.More details of venue can be found under courses on British Birankai Website.This course is ope to all associations.Cost £5.00 for the day .

Anth
03-03-2010, 02:48 PM
If it wasn't the weekend before our organisation's international course I'd be there!

sakumeikan
03-04-2010, 11:05 AM
If it wasn't the weekend before our organisation's international course I'd be there!

Dear Mr Gaskell.
I hope this mail finds you well.I take it you belong to some group other than the British Birankai? We in the B.B. are running this course in order to stimulate interest in Aikido in the N.E primarily.Our intent is to offer any person irrespective of affiliation the opportunity to meet and train together in an atmosphere whereby new relationships with other fellow aikidoka are established in a cordial and welcoming manner.
We intend to hold regular courses and I can assure you that you and any of your colleagues would be made very welcome.I trust your own Seminar will be a success.
Yours Sincerely, Joe [Curran].

Anth
03-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Joe/sakumeikan (the name sounds familiar - possibly from MAP?), I'm with DAN - John Emmerson's lot. I believe there may be a transition to Aikikai in our future so I'll be keeping an eye out for your courses.

Cheers,
Anth.

sakumeikan
03-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi Anthony,
Yes I am indeed the gent from MAP.I will indeed keep you informed of any courses we have.I take it that Mr Emmerson would approve of joining in with local Aikikai dojos?
Cheers, Joe/Sakumeikan

Yoshinkan
03-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi

I attended the course and was a great day very friendly instructors and although bending my body to a very different style than yoshinkan was not easy there was some excellent instruction.

We (yoshinkan) are normally very direct / fwd facing in stance there was a lot of Hitoemi movement during the training, which I over compensated by showing my back to much. Sensei Curran was kind enough to try and correct my error and I greatly appreciated his time during the break and on the tatami.

Its always good to remember when you attending an event by another style to try to listen, watch and try to understand (the difficult bit), and not be tempted to tell the instructor this is what we would do, or to compare or try to hold onto the style your comfortable with.

Sensei Lockyear was also a great instructor as was sensei Hodgson whom I had trained with at other events. I look forward to attending such meetings in the future and reccomend any one from a non-birankai base to attend.

Osu

Mark

sakumeikan
03-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi

I attended the course and was a great day very friendly instructors and although bending my body to a very different style than yoshinkan was not easy there was some excellent instruction.

We (yoshinkan) are normally very direct / fwd facing in stance there was a lot of Hitoemi movement during the training, which I over compensated by showing my back to much. Sensei Curran was kind enough to try and correct my error and I greatly appreciated his time during the break and on the tatami.

Its always good to remember when you attending an event by another style to try to listen, watch and try to understand (the difficult bit), and not be tempted to tell the instructor this is what we would do, or to compare or try to hold onto the style your comfortable with.

Sensei Lockyear was also a great instructor as was sensei Hodgson whom I had trained with at other events. I look forward to attending such meetings in the future and reccomend any one from a non-birankai base to attend.

Osu

Mark
Dear Mark,
Thank you most sincerely for you attendance at our Seminar.I also appreciate your comments.It is our belief that through meeting like minded people who are willing to have an open , honest relationship with each other regardless of political /style / organisational structure we will in time hopefully achieve a unified group within the N.E.This group I believe can be cultivated and can work for the good of our community here in the N.E.We need to break down walls that separate us and reach the conclusion that we are ALL doing /studying Aikido.I assure you that our intentions are related purely to development of Aikido in the region , nothing more than this.

If my colleagues and I can be of any assistance to you or others please do not hesitate to call on me /us.
We hope to run a series of courses in the immediate future.We also hope to extend a welcome to instructors from other areas /groups.
Please pass my best regards on to all at your Dojo,
Yours Sincerely, Joe [Curran ]

Carl Thompson
03-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Dear Mark,
Thank you most sincerely for you attendance at our Seminar.I also appreciate your comments.It is our belief that through meeting like minded people who are willing to have an open , honest relationship with each other regardless of political /style / organisational structure we will in time hopefully achieve a unified group within the N.E.This group I believe can be cultivated and can work for the good of our community here in the N.E.We need to break down walls that separate us and reach the conclusion that we are ALL doing /studying Aikido.I assure you that our intentions are related purely to development of Aikido in the region , nothing more than this.

If my colleagues and I can be of any assistance to you or others please do not hesitate to call on me /us.
We hope to run a series of courses in the immediate future.We also hope to extend a welcome to instructors from other areas /groups.
Please pass my best regards on to all at your Dojo,
Yours Sincerely, Joe [Curran ]

Curran Sensei,

I regret not posting something about this before the seminar, but for whatever it is worth, I greatly appreciate what you are trying to do. I meant to egg on any of my old training partners in the region to attend (Iím out of the country myself). Will you be doing any more seminars like this?

Kind regards

Carl

sakumeikan
03-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Curran Sensei,

I regret not posting something about this before the seminar, but for whatever it is worth, I greatly appreciate what you are trying to do. I meant to egg on any of my old training partners in the region to attend (I'm out of the country myself). Will you be doing any more seminars like this?

Kind regards

Carl

Dear Carl,
Hope you are well.We in the N.E. section of The British Birankai are hoping to do an ongoing series of one day courses possibly on a bimonthly basis.Our group here comprises of 6 dojo and this weekend we had recognised [Shidoin/Fukoshidoin ] teachers representing some of the dojos.Later in the year we hope to bring up one of our National Instructors again for a one day seminar.I would be grateful if you would send me contact details of your group in order that we can send you info in respect of our courses.The courses are open to any /all students irrespective of association.
On a personal note I found the course on the 28th March a very enjoyable experience . We had the opportunity to train with members of other associations and meet our own students from the
area.I do hope your colleagues will join us later at a future course.I can assure you that they will be most welcome.On behalf of my colleagues and myself I wish to thank you for you efforts in support of our future projects.
All the best , Joe.