PDA

View Full Version : Static techniques?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Kat.C
04-19-2002, 12:50 PM
In some of the posts, you guys have talked about doing techniques from a 'static position' or 'static techniques'. What do you mean by static? Doesn't it mean stationary? How can you attack if you're not moving? Also, where does the energy (or force)come from that you need to deal with an attack? I thought you used the attackers momentum against him.

Lyle Bogin
04-19-2002, 01:23 PM
I was just reading Saito Sensei's commments at the beginning of Takemusu Aikido Vol. 1 and he discusses this, so you may wish to refer to this volume for futher insight.

Static techniques imply that your uke is, within reasonable limitation, trying to prevent your motion through the technique being practiced. He/she is not moving toward or away from you but rather standing still. The goal as nage is to initiate motion by sensing the weakness in your uke's balance, or the direction of their will/energy, and to extend you ki so that you can move through the technique successfully.

This is different than ki no nagare, which are more full motion techniques.

At Shin Budo Kai, both are taught as part of the curriculum.

thomson
04-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Hi Kat!

As I understand it static is starting from a non-moving position. Example grabs where you are just standing there or kneeling in seiza, not running or moving towards nage.

Something like a strike (shomen uchi, tsuki, etc) would be dynamic as uke must move toward nage to initiate the technique.

Hope that helps.

Mike:D

Chuck Clark
04-19-2002, 03:51 PM
In reality, uke is never "not moving" unless they're dead!

Muscles are contracting in opposing groups to keep us vertical, keep us from rotating too much in one direction, and to keep us breathing for instance.

Depending on the grip, the muscles may be pushing or pulling (coiling).

Be sensitive to these movements and you can create the kuzushi which causes uke to lose posture and give you energy to redirect.

There's no such thing as a "static attack."

Regards,