PDA

View Full Version : Wearing your gi properly.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

rnrobles
02-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I have a question about the wearing of the jacket part of the Gi.

I have noticed that sensei(s) are always telling us to straightening up our Gi(s), especialy, bowing out.

I wear a standard Judo Gi for Aikido and the Jacket is just hard to keep properly closed. In training, it always untucked from the belt (obi) and opens around the chest area. Out of modesty, I wear a t-shirt under it. Is that proper?

From my understanding, to be considered closed it needs to be crossed high on the chest. Is this true?
If so, what is a simple solution to keeping it from opening?
Should I be using a different style of Gi?

Thank you.
:ai: :ki:

chillzATL
02-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I have a question about the wearing of the jacket part of the Gi.

I have noticed that sensei(s) are always telling us to straightening up our Gi(s), especialy, bowing out.

I wear a standard Judo Gi for Aikido and the Jacket is just hard to keep properly closed. In training, it always untucked from the belt (obi) and opens around the chest area. Out of modesty, I wear a t-shirt under it. Is that proper?

From my understanding, to be considered closed it needs to be crossed high on the chest. Is this true?
If so, what is a simple solution to keeping it from opening?
Should I be using a different style of Gi?

Thank you.
:ai: :ki:

Not possible for me, maybe with velcro or staples I guess. I've never had someone comment about it though and I can't imagine why they would. When you're grabbing, hitting, and throwing it's going to come all sorts of untangled. Just stuff it back in your belt and keep going.

Janet Rosen
02-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Common in Japan for women to use "modesty ties" at the bustline. I make them for my own dogi top by cutting a white or natural color cotton shoelace in 1/2 and handstitching to the gi. + at waistline if the gi doesn't have ties there.

ninjaqutie
02-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Mine opens at the top a bit at times, but I have never had mine come out of the belt. Then again, I tug on mine a lot to keep the front closed. Tying your belt tighter or a hakama (if you can wear one) usually helps this problem a bit.

odudog
02-19-2010, 09:41 PM
Wearing a t-shirt underneath all depends on your dojo. I do this as well, but I was told not to do it when I visited Honbu dojo. They told me it was not allowed for guys to do this. You could also get a gi that has a tie at the chest area. Some guys think that this is for girls and is incorrect for guys to wear, but, if it is was OK for Nishio Sensei to have one then it is OK for me! You could also tie your obi tighter which was already mentioned.

Pauliina Lievonen
02-20-2010, 05:54 AM
You might not want to buy a new jacket right away but next time you do, shop around a little, maybe you'll find a brand/model that is wider&longer. That might also help. Or buy a size too large and cut the sleeves shorter yourself.

kvaak
Pauliina