PDA

View Full Version : A senpai, the rank

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

felipe_3
02-18-2010, 08:51 AM
what rank should have a senpai in aikido??

Fred Little
02-18-2010, 09:17 AM
what rank should have a senpai in aikido??

Strictly speaking, anyone who started before you did is your sempai, without reference to rank.

That said, as Dr. Goldsbury has explained in a number of different connections, much of what is associated with the sempai/kohai system is unique to university clubs in Japan and may have limited applicability to other types of aikido groups, both in Japan and elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Best,

FL

felipe_3
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
ok thanks

Dan Rubin
02-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Strictly speaking, anyone who started before you did is your sempai, without reference to rank.

Is it anyone who began studying aikido before you did, or is it anyone who began studying aikido at your dojo before you did?

Fred Little
02-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Is it anyone who began studying aikido before you did, or is it anyone who began studying aikido at your dojo before you did?

Dan,

In the narrowest and most legalistic sense, I would say the latter.

That said, my experience is that narrowness and legalism isn't generally conducive to healthy or friendly personal relationships.

Best,

FL

dragonsun5
02-18-2010, 05:38 PM
My senpai are from 2nd year up. I started classes and the club in their second semester in September and there were 2 other guys their who were 5th kyu but also 1st years and I am allowed to call them by their last names with -san or without it. The second years up though I have to call them senpai. The second years will be testing for their 1st dan in two weeks and the 3rd years I don't think will be testing but they are at 1st dan. The 4th years and the ones who are graduating in March will be testing for their 2nd dan I believe.

It's not just used in martial arts clubs though but in everyday student life. My friends were telling me about it when I first came and it's to distinguish class year and honor the older student.

MikeLogan
02-18-2010, 10:17 PM
... my experience is that narrowness and legalism isn't generally conducive to healthy or friendly personal relationships.Though, and in fortunately rare situations, they can protect healthy and friendly personal relationships.