View Full Version : Rugby and Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

02-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Does anyone here, play, or have played Rugby, or American Football?

It seems absolutely the opposite of Aikido! All that clash of bone and flesh.

Is there anything to learn from it? Could Ueshiba, in his prime, have touched down with minimum hassle?

02-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Carl, I used to play rugby before I started aikido .. that was a while back now. I think you can definitely mine that body of experience for relevant stuff. At the very least, you should have a better grasp of getting hit than someone with no prior physical violence background. aikido as training to stay on your feet is quite relevant to rugby as well (IMO). If you've ever had to play at tournaments 15 min a side game maybe 4-5 games a day, or sevens .. you should be able to appreciate aikido strategy.

02-17-2010, 10:51 AM
My sensei said he used to play rugby growing up. He said he loved it, but it was hard on his body. Most people in my dojo are either mountain bikers, rock climbers, skiiers or ultimate frisbee/frisbee golf players. :)

02-17-2010, 11:13 AM
I played rugby for 14 years, I begin aikido and then I left rugby.

I was on the national rugby team, after practicing aikido for some years I realize that Rugby was the opposite of aikido, so I left rugby.
During the period where I was practicing both, I figure out that everything that I've learned in rugby was the things that I should let goat at the tatami.

Then my way of playing rugby changed, I funded stupid to hit player, and heart my self, but also this new way of taking down the player, was starting to be dangerous for them.

What I learned after this experience was that the security on my strength was just a illusion. Physical strength limited me.
And most of all, the feeling of security was replaced for another feelings...... awareness, emptiness, flexibility and on...

Answering your last question, I am sure he could,
Imagine a 15 uke randori...

ai: :ki:

02-17-2010, 11:49 AM
From the point of view of attitude, I suppose you'd have to be there to
appreciate how opposite it could be. But maybe that's just the problem of the rugby culture over there, for sure its hard to explain.
( I played for PWCC 79-95 )

02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Funny, I never found both cultures contradicted themselves.

02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
A class mate of mine is a rugger, hooker in fact (support your local hookers!), and I recall something about a rule saying that if you have the ball, you have to be stopped on the ground for before the play is stopped. I asked him to define 'stopped', and he said if you're slopping around the ground for 2 seconds, you're done.

How many aikidoka do you know can get off the ground out of a roll in 2 seconds? I've considered joining his team just to see if ukemi would help recovering in rugby. Plus they've a fondness for beer that you just don't run into anymore.

02-18-2010, 04:34 AM
The rule explanation is not very clear, but one thing is certain, being a grounded ball carrier demonstrated easily the interest of getting back on your feet quickly on a battlefield.

02-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Also, Barry Sanders could have lessons to give us concerning balance, body control, vision, elusiveness and the ability to keep a perpetual movement :

Darryl Cowens
02-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Are we talking Rugby Union here?

I'm (pleasantly) suprised to hear people outside the three main southern hemisphere and six main european nations discussing it, if that is the case... :D

02-19-2010, 02:50 AM
Kia Ora from an admirer of the All Blacks,
Argentina is also a big rugby nation, and other countries also send very decent teams to the World Cup (Canada, the USA, Georgia for example).

02-19-2010, 11:26 AM
union of course.. lots of fun

like i said