PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Bujin gi wearers

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

ninjaqutie
02-12-2010, 10:49 AM
I am looking into getting a new gi as mine is getting worn out. Poor thing.... :( I am going to try to get a bujin gi, but I am debating on whether I should go with the 8.5 or the 12 oz. I was just wondering which one you have and if you like it. If you have worn both, what do you like about each of them? Thanks. :D

lbb
02-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I have a 12 oz. and like it just fine. If you're used to karate uniforms, it would probably be considered a heavyweight, but it's light compared to a standard aikido/judogi. Since wanting a lighter weight gi is the only reason I can see wanting to go with the 8 oz rather than the 12 oz, I think if you're used to a standard aikidogi, you're not going to feel the need to go lighter than 12.

George S. Ledyard
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I am looking into getting a new gi as mine is getting worn out. Poor thing.... :( I am going to try to get a bujin gi, but I am debating on whether I should go with the 8.5 or the 12 oz. I was just wondering which one you have and if you like it. If you have worn both, what do you like about each of them? Thanks. :D
Definitely go for the heavier gi. I have always used their heavier gis and I wouldn't consider the lighetr one. It just wouldn't hold up the same way.

Linda Eskin
02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I have the kind they call "medium weight." I'm assuming that must be the 8.5 oz. I haven't seen the heavier one. I really like it. Not flimsy at all. A very sturdy, smooth material that doesn't get clingy when you sweat. It's also lined in the shoulders with CoolMax. We do a lot of shoulder grabs, and some suwariwaza, and it has no problem standing up to either one. It gets darned hot here, so staying cool was my reason for going with the lighter one.

ninjaqutie
02-14-2010, 04:04 PM
I should ask my sensei what the weight of the gi is that I bought from him. I have been leaning towards the heavier weight. Thanks for weighing in on the subject. :D

cguzik
02-18-2010, 09:29 AM
The 12 oz material has more of a canvas feel, similar to a karate gi. It is stiffer and holds its shape such that it "poofs out" from your body a bit on its own. The 8.5 oz material is more like that of a heavy t-shirt. It is softer and drapes down over your body instead of "poofing out".

ninjaqutie
02-19-2010, 05:00 PM
I just wanted to give you guys a heads up! Bujin has a limited run on a heavyweight gi that is more pliable. They only have small and extra extra large left I believe, but I thought I would post this for your information. If it does well, they might go full scale with it....

http://www.bujindesign.com/aikido-uniforms-heavyweight-aikido-uniforms-c-102_97/heavyweight-aikido-uniform-special-run-p-333