PDA

View Full Version : New Deshi / Aspiring Aikidoka

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jonathan Gippe
12-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Konnichi Wa!

I have visited the Aikido dojos within reasonable distance of my home and partaken in classes with two such dojos. I am excited and pleased to be starting classes in the new year with the Kinokawa :ki: Dojo of Bethlehem, PA. A very respectable heirarchy/lineage directly tied to the origin of Aikido will make it an honor for me to claim some form of association:

O'Sensei Ueshiba...
Sensei Koichi Tohei...
Sensei Koretoshi Maruyama...
Sensei Michael Wirth...
Sensei Craig Constantine...

At 36 years of age, I am as nervous as I am eager to venture down a new mentally and physically demanding path. Mind may control body but in the "awkward" art of ukemi, what controls the mind to tell it to relax in order to take a fall naturally (my greatest hesitance). Once I begin to find my comfort zone with ukemi (and simply sitting seiza) I will assuredly be able to focus more intently on the teachings of my Sensei and Sempai.

Wish me luck!

Arigato Gozaimashita,

Jon

Janet Rosen
12-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Congratulations and welcome on your new path. There are plenty of middle aged klutzes (I resemble that statement) who have started, stuck with it, and done quite well.

akiy
12-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

Phil Ingram
12-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Hey Jon :)
Don't be nervous i am 38 and have just started to ukemi with some ease it took a lot of work because has we all know if you fall down it hurts :)
try your ukemi from kneeling first left and right then when ur good with that move on to crouching /standing and when you do it right from standing its a unreal feeling

i used this youtube clip to help me maybe it will help you too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W93w6aw26Ls&feature=channel
let me know how you get on

regards
Phil

BWells
12-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Jonathan, your a youngester, I was 45 when I started, am 60 and a nidan now. Just takes showing up day after day. That's also the fun part!

ninjaqutie
12-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the world of aikido! Don't be afraid to dive right in instead of getting your toes wet. :)

Ron Tisdale
12-30-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi, actually, I think it is a different Maruyama Sensei in your lineage...Shuji is the name you are thinking of I believe. He was in Philadelphia for a very long time. I trained with Worth Sensei a long time ago...barely remember the classes but Worth Sensei made quite an impression!

But in any case, welcome to aikido and the boards.

http://www.kokikai.org/aboutSensei.php

Jonathan Gippe
12-30-2009, 09:21 PM
I believe you are correct, Mr. Tisdale. I've inundated myself with reference materials; Sensei Koretoshi Maruyama authored Aikido with Ki (thus my confusion based on heavy reference to "Ki", which I realize is not uncommon).

Meanwhile, thank you so much to everyone! Sensei Constatine and Sempai Lepeta of my dojo were of the same cloth in the manner in which they welcomed me which made me all the more anxious to learn of this group that walks the earth with such open minds and hearts.

Ron Tisdale
12-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi, Ron is just fine. Happy GNU Year... ;)
Best,
Ron