View Full Version : Hurty Hurty Hakama

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

12-12-2009, 12:23 AM
I have just graded to a level where I am required to wear a hakama and am unfortunately not thrilled with the expeiriance.

Basically every time I wear it I end up with a stripe of bruises on my hips and spine and obvious pain associated with this bruising.

I suspect it is happening because of my ukemi, which is really only reasonable - lots of room for improvement here, but why would it be happening just because I now have on an extra piece of clothing on?

I have experimented with different tightnesses of the himo and the least pain was when it was so tight i could hardly bow. Not really a solution.

Would love to hear your thoughts,

12-12-2009, 01:17 AM
It's not unusual to tense up and be self-conscious when you first start wearing a hak. It does require some getting used to. The added tension can certainly affect the way your body impacts the mat, and if the koshita is too firm, this could add to your discomfort. There are hakama styles available that are more suited to ukemi than some of those that are used in the non-falling arts, such as kendo or iaido. Suggest you visit the bujindesign.com (http://bujindesign.com) website for some good info on the hakama.

One other factor that may be affecting you is that you may now be wearing your obi in a different bearing, now that the hak is in play. This could also be causing you to roll over things in a different way as you take your falls. Try to relax as much as possible, and take "quiet" ukemi. Your body will most likely adjust if given a bit of time and patience, but continued significant bruising is a sign that your uni has a fitment or construction issue of the nature I described above.

Pauliina Lievonen
12-12-2009, 12:48 PM
One thing I have realized is that with a hakama, I have to make sure I don't tie the strings of my pants, the obi, the koshita, and the ties of the hakama all on top of each other, otherwise they make a thick lump that is painful to roll over.

I tie the pants a bit loose, because they can't fall off anyway. Then I tie my obi so that it's a bit below the waistline of my pants. The bottom edge of the koshita comes just on top of the waistline of the pants, and that way I have a flat back to roll over. I also make sure I don't have any accidental pleats in the back of my jacket under the koshita.

12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
What the heck lol... I loops the back strings once into my belt before tying it. That is enough to keep it on my rear. Tie everything loosely. Don't hurt yourself, it shouldn't be that tight. hehe ^_^ I keep it loose and low. I secure the straps to my belt. Never had a problem with it falling off when I actually take time to string it into my belt, and I've never been bruised for sure. Rolling is easy.