PDA

View Full Version : Introduction: Raki

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Raki
12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I have been lurking the forums for about a couple of weeks now, getting the feel of the aikido community and it's perspective of the art itself.

I've been doing a lot of 'snooping' around. Checking out youtube videos and stuff to find out more about aikido. I first heard of aikido from an 'adult' practitioner friend when i was a kid, and asked him to teach me some stuff, we never got around to doing it though, but i guess i'm just pointing out that i've been interested even then, i was 12 or 13 at the time and i think i might have seen a few Steven Segal movies too..:D

..there were other stuff that i got into back then as well, dancing, and guitar, taekwondo and back to guitar, in that order (now i suppose i'm black belt with the 'axe') but i'm getting older and soon will be in my thirties. Though i'm not lanky or anything, i just want to do something physical, lifting weights is good and did that too, but i had to stop due to schedule problems..

..anyway, i originally intended to go back to the gym and lift weights but it happened that this other friend of mine got into muay thai (he wanted to lose weight), and i remembered i've always wanted to take aikido classes.

..i just can't help thinking about a few things though, like i'm not as flexible as i used to be, i can't even reach my toes with my finger tips, is this going to be a problem executing stuff in aikido? or is this something that aikido can help me with? Like can it train me to be more flexible?

..i hope to stop smoking too.

If i'm gonna do it i gotta do it right, So i set out to know more about it, that's why i ended up in here. I downloaded aikido stuff all over the internet and i particularly liked Donovan Waite's Ukemi video and i think that's the first thing i need to know to avoid injury.

I signed up last friday and i'm starting tomorrow.. hehe.:D

Cheers! :D

Travis Johnson
12-06-2009, 01:09 PM
That's great that you're finally taking that first step into Aikido training! As far as your flexibility goes, don't worry about it too much. With all of the great stretching that Aikido offers, you will be able make imrovements slowly. Just remember to be patient with this part of your training and it will get easier. Also, one of the wonderful things about Aikido is that the art lends itself to practitioners of many different body sizes. Just stick with it, keep training, and everything will come together for you!

Best of luck on your Aikido path!

-Travis Johnson

akiy
12-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi Lawrence,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Kevin Leavitt
12-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Welcome!

..i just can't help thinking about a few things though, like i'm not as flexible as i used to be, i can't even reach my toes with my finger tips, is this going to be a problem executing stuff in aikido? or is this something that aikido can help me with? Like can it train me to be more flexible?

In short the answer is most likely NO.

Good news is that you don't need to be able to touch your toes and flexibility is not too much of a limiting factor in what we do. It also is not focused enough on stretching in most cases where you will realize much improvement in your stretching abilities.

This is not to say that increase in flexibility is not a good thing, or that it is not advantageous to be more flexible as of course, the more range of motion you have the better.

Aikido is a great practice and is adaptable to you the way you currently are. Heck, there are folks in wheel chairs that practice, albeit is a modified way.

Again, welcome!

Raki
12-07-2009, 07:24 AM
..thanks for the warm welcome and the encouragement. I just got home from the dojo and i think i will be alright..:D

thanks!

CitoMaramba
12-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi Lawrence,
So you are practicing in Cubao with Rey Asperin and Randy Pobre?
You are in good hands.
Good luck with your training.

Cito

Larry Cuvin
12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Welcome to Aikiweb Lawrence. I grew up in Kamuning and spent countless hours shopping at Cubao.

Raki
12-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Welcome to Aikiweb Lawrence. I grew up in Kamuning and spent countless hours shopping at Cubao.

.. i saw a 1958 Les Paul in Ali Mall (can't afford it, i was in High School back then) bought the "Monster Modes and Scales" book instead (it was way way cheaper..:D ) Buying it got me to some real good places. And that Huge National Bookstore Building that sells bargain books at the 4th floor. I completed a series of 'old' books there that nobody else wanted to read..

..Araneta is somewhat special to me too hehe.

..and 20 years or so later, i ended up working somewhere around the area and there's this dojo..

Raki
12-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Lawrence,
So you are practicing in Cubao with Rey Asperin and Randy Pobre?
You are in good hands.
Good luck with your training.

Cito

..thanks sir. I kinda feel that way too.. and his vibe kinda rubbed of to the others as well. I think i'm gonna love it there. :D

Raki
12-07-2009, 10:53 PM
That's great that you're finally taking that first step into Aikido training! As far as your flexibility goes, don't worry about it too much. With all of the great stretching that Aikido offers, you will be able make imrovements slowly. Just remember to be patient with this part of your training and it will get easier. Also, one of the wonderful things about Aikido is that the art lends itself to practitioners of many different body sizes. Just stick with it, keep training, and everything will come together for you!

Best of luck on your Aikido path!

-Travis Johnson

..thanks. I'm still sore :D

Raki
12-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Welcome!
In short the answer is most likely NO.

..eventually, maybe. Yes?

Heck, there are folks in wheel chairs that practice, albeit is a modified way.

..doing my 'snooping around' i did chance upon this movie about someone doing aikido in wheelchair. Was it good? I'll download it and watch it if you say it is..

Again, welcome!

..thank you.:)

CitoMaramba
12-08-2009, 03:46 AM
..thanks sir. I kinda feel that way too.. and his vibe kinda rubbed of to the others as well. I think i'm gonna love it there. :D

Walang anuman, Pakikumusta na lang ako kina Sensei Rey at kay Randy. Salamat!