View Full Version : Local tragedy illustrates difficulties in police profession.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

12-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Many of you may have heard that recently in the Puget Sound area we've had a couple assassinations on the police. About a month ago a Seattle officer was assassinated in his car and several days ago four officers were killed just prior to starting their shifts while they were having coffee together (per my recollection of the story, at least). In both cases the officers were targeted and murdered while they set about their daily work routine.
I take the view that roles like that of the police deserve the highest scrutiny. Because of the nature of their power/role they should be criticized at a moment's notice where any citizen can logically do so. That said I think they are also an underappreciated aspect of our society. At their best they represent the noblest of human virtues in the form of magnanimous bravery and service during life-threatening times, risking their lives for the lives of others.
So, in my own strange little memorial to the officers who have recently passed as well as those many others who have fallen in service, I just want to express my thanks to all officers for doing their best to bridge that chasm between the highest and lowest parts of our society.
Thank you and take care of yourselves.
Matthew Gano

12-04-2009, 01:22 PM
I work for Oregon State Police (not an officer btw) and I can say that these events have affected us here. We are allowed to wear mourning bands into next week. Sad.... very sad..... Just this year we lost one of our own troopers who was a bomb tech and another agency lost an officer as well during the event.

Keith Larman
12-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Absolutely. A moment of silence...