PDA

View Full Version : practicing

Please visit our sponsor:

njnoexit
04-10-2002, 06:32 PM
I know Aikido has alot to do with technique. but I also have to know there is alot to do with mental training. I have not started classess yet. and I am trying to save money for them but I would like to start the mental training. what is it some kind of mediation? or movement or I dont know.... but I would like to have somthing that I can practice at home without having to go to the dojo to learn. what do you guys sugest I do... and how would I do it.

Thanks

IrimiTom
04-10-2002, 07:50 PM
relax and save all the energy for when you actually start practicing... I've been practicing for about 8 months now and I remember I was like that a couple of months before I joined my dojo..... not that I'm n ot like that or that it's bad, they say the beginner mind is what should always aim for...
...you can do things like shadow practicing when you are at home, or mentally going over techniques or moves when you go to bed, things like that, but most of these things you learn or get the hang of when you start practicing

Abasan
04-11-2002, 06:35 AM
Aikido must come through practice.
Not theory not books not postulation...
but practice.

That aside...
You might try to increase your phsyical fitness. Not absolutely necessary, but good if you like vigarous aikido.
Stretching and increasing your flexibility is good too.
Breathing exercises... try to learn abdominal breathing and controling the pace.
Mental calmness... relaxation of the body comes from control of the mind.

Lastly.
Being keen is great. Just don't try to learn and master everything in one day. Its not a competition.

njnoexit
04-11-2002, 05:33 PM
I am not protaining to any phisical practice or conditioning. I am talking about mental conditioning. I need to go to a dojo for that? sorry if I was not clear

warriorwoman
04-11-2002, 07:17 PM
It's very difficult to train your mind separate from the Aikido you plan to train in because it is relative to those actions and events that take place within the dojo or between you and your partner at that particular moment. Having said this, I believe it might help you to practice either Zen meditation or Vipassana meditation in order to develop concentration and clarity of mind. In Vipassana meditation you can also investigate your concept of yourself, what motivates you, and your reactions to aversion. But even this is difficult to do from a book. You should seek out a community of meditators who can guide you in this in lieu of an actual teacher (which are difficult to find). Where are you located? Perhaps I or another can refer you to a legitimate meditation teacher.
janet dtantirojanarat
www.warriorwoman.org

njnoexit
04-12-2002, 08:47 PM
I live in northern NJ. Bergen County area. and thanks for you time.