View Full Version : Hello Everyone!!!!!!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Tyler Youngren
11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
hello everyone :)

My name is Tyler I am a 30 year old disabled Male.

I have been disabled my whole life. I have Cerebral Palsy.

I have used a manual wheelchair my whole life and I live a very active lifestyle. I currently swim a mile at least twice a week and I love it.

I enjoy both playing and watching sports I am also a huge movie buff.

I am very interested aikido. when I was about 9 years old I studied Tae Kwon Do for a short time.

now that I have some more free time I would like to take up a martial art again and aikido has peeked my interest.

I have come to this site and forums to educate myself about aikido and to help discover if it is an art I can and should persue.

I am looking to gain some more balance in my life from both a physical and mental perspective. I also very interested in the history and culture of aikido. I would also love to be able to defended myself if the need ever arose but this is not a primary concern :)

Thanks for reading this and thanks for the very informative site.:D

11-25-2009, 03:46 AM
Hi Tyler, your seeking the art is already a step in the right direction. Your thirst for knowledge is a door that you've opened.
Your physical lifestyle is one more tool in your arsenal.

Find the right teacher and Aikido will be yours for the taking.

11-25-2009, 06:18 AM
I'd heard, and been really surprised, that disabled people could do martial arts. I felt really ignorant about it, and about martial arts in general. This is awesome, though, I hope you can end up getting something out of Aikido!

11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi Tyler,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

I just posted a news article about a gentleman with Parkinson's disease who has a student with cerebral palsy:

I hope you can find a good dojo near you.

-- Jun

Tyler Youngren
11-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome :)

Jun I well defiantly: read the article :cool:

11-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Welcome. I hope to learn/hear more about you in your posts. :) Glad to see that you are taking such an active role in your life. Good for you!

Conrad Gus
11-25-2009, 05:47 PM
My friend Eric has trained both kung fu and aikido since he has been using a wheelchair.

Here's a link to his blog: http://iamjustwondering.net/category/aikido/

He washes his wheels before going on the mat. How respectful!

11-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Hello and welcome to Aikiweb. For inspiration, check out the article on Ole Kingston at this link to aikido journal.

Good luck in your pursuit of aiki.

Greg Steckel

Adam Huss
11-27-2009, 09:08 PM
This is great Tyler, welcome to Aikido!

I visited an aikijujitsu dojo where the dojocho, or head instructor, was disabled (don't remember how, as it was years ago...but he had braces on his legs and used forearm crutches). Great guy, great dojo.

As it pertains to you being a movie buff: as far as aikido goes, I think you are limited to early Steven Seagal flicks, The Challenge (a movie from the 80's or late 70's...has some aikido in it), and a few clips from The Last Samurai that have an aikido technique or two. Also, the lead actor in the TV show Burn Notice (on USA) trained in Aikido and did an indie move about someone who trains in aikido to overcome some sort of difficulty in his life. I think this is the premise, but the movie isn't available that I know of as it wasn't widely released, hence I haven't seen it. Anything else, I am unaware of. (in the movie Keeping the Faith, Ben Stiller makes a reference to aikido).

11-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I visited an aikijujitsu dojo where the dojocho, or head instructor, was disabled (don't remember how, as it was years ago...but he had braces on his legs and used forearm crutches). Great guy, great dojo.

Mr. Huss,

My friend, Michael Pabst Sensei is th e dojocho of Circle Of Harmony Dojo in Columbus, Ohio. He is a very proficient martial artist, and great teacher. Since you are from Ohio, it is he you may be describing.

Here's the link to his website, http://www.o.aikicircle.com/index.html

Train well,

Adam Huss
11-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Yes, that is where is trained. They have another website, buts its under construction. In enjoyed training there, I think I went three or four times. When I lived in CBus I tried to train at every aikido dojo...including the two at the OSU activity center (the crazy new gym).

12-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Mr. Huss,

I have never been to to the new gymnasium, what Aikido is taught there?

Did you ever train with Debbie Estes or Moe Stevens?

Train well,

Adam Huss
12-23-2009, 11:26 AM

It's been a little while, so I don't remember too many names. I know I trained at the two OSU dojo (one is a Yoshinkan style in the Yoshokai organization of Kushida Takashi Sensei, and the other was a USAF I think), went to Circle of Harmony (at the time Tomiki, now Aikijujistu I think), the Movement Center (or something similar in name, its ASU and one of the bigger dojo in Columbus), and a mile off high street on 5th or 3rd..in that area...that does Yoshinkan aikido but has other arts (teacher is Roger Pyle) and I went to a dojo, kind of off the beaten path-I don't remember exactly where, by Scott Stukenburg (phonetic spelling) whose focus is Karate and Iaido, but also does aikido. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two.
Happy Holidays!

Randy Sexton
12-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Hope you find someone to guide you on the path of Aikido.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Doc Sexton