View Full Version : First class!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

04-08-2002, 08:33 PM
WOW!! I had my first class tonight and it was alot of fun. I couldn't believe it when the sempai who was teaching tonight announced that we had run late. It certainly didn't feel like it had been over 90 minutes. They were three of us newbies there my husband and I, and one other guy. They tried to teach us backward rolls but I didn't do to well. In fact I didn't do too well at any of the things we did tonight I was so confused. It is nothing like learning karate! Normally after a karate class I would come home and practise what I had been doing in class but I don't even know what I was doing tonight :confused: Oh well I expected things to be this way, I usually have to repeat something a hundred times or so before I get it. Thankfully my husband is very quick at picking up these things so he will have to train with me each day! I will have to go outside tomorrow and practise my rolls the ground is soft enough I think , though muddy.
I was too scared to do any breakfalls I clung on to nage like my life depended on it during any techniques we did! Hopefully classes will eventually become more strenuous, I did not get much of a workout. I am use to three hours of hard training in karate but I didn't even work up a sweat once. Although a few of my muscles are wondering what I was doing.
Sorry this post is so long but I am just so excited!

04-08-2002, 09:31 PM
Hi Kat,

It sounds like you had a great time -- congratulations! Please feel welcome and encouraged to keep us informed of your progress, thoughts, and questions you may have in your now-current aikido training!

-- Jun

04-09-2002, 03:21 AM
Don't worry Kat!

I've been practicing aikido for about 4 or 5 years now and I still suck at backward rolls. Not that I'm a particular slow learner, but there is just allways so much more to learn and perfection is a rare guest in any dojo. Keep at it and enjoy the journey. :)

04-09-2002, 06:17 AM
Hey Kat!

Just wanted to welcome you and your husband to the wonderful world of aikido! Glad you had a good time last night. I'm new to aikido also, been at it about 2-3 months now, and I'm still having problems with backward rolls. The strange thing is if I don't think about them I have no problems, almost instinct; but if I think about doing a backward roll I can't do a decent one to save my life, go figure?!?!

Anyhow...enjoy your training! :D

04-10-2002, 11:22 PM
Welcome to Aikido

Dont worry about the confusion at the moment, it'll all start to fall into place. Aikido has a lot of circular and non linear movements that are very different to some forms of karate. Training in aikido basics and karate basics is very different having done Shobukan karate a number of years ago. Once you've become more confident with your ukemis and breakfalls and some of the techniques, you'll get a better workout.

Regardless it sounds that you're off to an auspicious start. It only gets better and more fun from here, and more challenging too :)

Al the best with your training.