PDA

View Full Version : Son of Doshu white belt?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

arjandevries
11-20-2009, 08:53 AM
I don't know if I am correct but it seems to me that the son of Doshu was not wearing a black belt but a white one.

Does he have a Yudansha degree? How does this work?

Does anyone know?

Goldsbury Sensei?

ramenboy
11-20-2009, 10:23 AM
i could be wrong, but as far as i know, doshu, waka sensei, etc have no rank. i don't want to say they are 'above rank' but if you notice, nidai doshu and doshu didn't/don't wear 'black' belts either.

David Maidment
11-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Waka-sensei does not have a rank. See the following page from the Hombu website where he is listed top of the instructor table but lacks a grade:

http://www.aikikai.or.jp/eng/hombu/instructor.htm

Peter Goldsbury
11-20-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't know if I am correct but it seems to me that the son of Doshu was not wearing a black belt but a white one.

Does he have a Yudansha degree? How does this work?

Does anyone know?

Goldsbury Sensei?

Hello Arjan,

In the recent demonstration at Almere, both Doshu and his son were wearing white belts. Neither are yudansha and I suspect that the reason is related to the iemoto system. At dinner on Tuesday evening, I sat opposite Doshu and he talked about the iemoto system, which he clearly believes applies to aikido. As head of the 'ie', Doshu awards dan ranks, but he is not himself a recipient of any rank. Similarly, Mitsuteru is part of the iemoto system, as the son and eventual inheritor of the ie.

Best wishes,

PAG

mathewjgano
11-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Hello Arjan,

In the recent demonstration at Almere, both Doshu and his son were wearing white belts. Neither are yudansha and I suspect that the reason is related to the iemoto system. At dinner on Tuesday evening, I sat opposite Doshu and he talked about the iemoto system, which he clearly believes applies to aikido. As head of the 'ie', Doshu awards dan ranks, but he is not himself a recipient of any rank. Similarly, Mitsuteru is part of the iemoto system, as the son and eventual inheritor of the ie.

Best wishes,

PAG
Hi Peter,
Is this the "ie" meaning house?

Peter Goldsbury
11-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Hi Peter,
Is this the "ie" meaning house?

Hello Matthew,

Yes, this is the central meaning, but in the martial arts it was extended to mean school. There is some discussion in my Transmission... column 10.

PAG

arjandevries
11-21-2009, 03:06 AM
Hi,

Thank you all for the answers! I will look on the internet for more info about iemoto. Perhaps there will be a question or two afterwards.

All the best,

Arjan

Atticus
11-24-2009, 12:04 AM
I too noticed Doshu and Waka Sensei wearing white belts this past Sunday at a seminar in Osaka. Although it later dawned on me that they both have no 'rank' per se, at first it didn't surprise me all that much since I've seen many shihan recently donning white belts. There seems to be a sort of fad among the big guns of Aikido...