View Full Version : Other names people give for "aikido"

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

11-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Just a curiosity kind of post. When I lived at my parents house and was leaving for aikido, my parents would say "U have chop-chop tonight?" :freaky: ... another name they used, since AIKIDO is apparently a very complex group of letters, was : "You have Ikea class tonight?" :uch: ... I'd laugh but man, can't they remember A I K I D O .... 6 letters ... lol

Does anyone else have friends or family who make up other names for AIKIDO?

Thought it would be a funny topic ... bring on the "other" names for this art .... :confused:

David Maidment
11-18-2009, 07:29 PM
"So Dave, how's your Karate going?"

11-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Oh, you have an Akita too?

Kevin Leavitt
11-18-2009, 08:01 PM
My 4 year old daughter calls it Ikea.

Darryl Cowens
11-18-2009, 08:03 PM
How was your <insert Bruce Lee style scream>?

11-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Ikea is the one I get the most often. Even started a thread on the subject in the humor section.

I have one manager who just loves to give me the Karate Kid crane stance thingy all the time.

11-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Haven't had problems with aikido, but people get iaido wrong all the time, they say "How is i-e-do?"

David Maidment
11-19-2009, 12:19 PM
"How is i-e-do?"

I get that too. I also have people talk to me about broadswords, etc. Sometimes they offer to sell me their unwanted Viking wall-hangers "for my training".

With Aikido I also get "still doing your ninja training?"

David Board
11-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Okidoki ('Just a bunch of bunny hops') (http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Lu-Tze)

Having read pratchett, my wife laughs at sweeping the dojo and well O'sensei and rule one...

Lan Powers
11-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Pop always asks if I am off to kick-boxing......no idea why.

11-19-2009, 02:01 PM
haha.... I can't help but smile when they say things like this..... :)

Marc Abrams
11-19-2009, 02:29 PM
I seem to takes calls at our dojo in NYC and at my dojo where people say "the art that is the same as Tae Kwon Do, but it's not Korean." I am sure that after the Seagal reality show rears it's brief but ugly head, we will get calls again asking for "Steven Seagal's art."

Marc Abrams

Rob Watson
11-19-2009, 07:17 PM
My recently ex-boss called it "I can do" which I knid of liked.

11-19-2009, 09:28 PM
How was your <insert Bruce Lee style scream>?

hahaha same here... except its 'hey how's your (hands start waving around like karate chops)?

11-21-2009, 01:11 PM
ugh... walked into work today. My boss comes over and says, "how's Taekwondo going?"

11-21-2009, 02:30 PM
If I'm talking to anyone who knows nothing about the martial arts, I always just say I do Karate. It's a name they know and can explain to other people what I do.

I do have a friend who knows nothing about the martial arts, but he distinctly knows that I don't do "karate", so he always asks specifically what it is I do. I never tell him, and it has become a running joke.

Kevin Leavitt
11-21-2009, 02:45 PM
One of my Marine Instructor Friends calls what we do in BJJ "man love". I suppose it is kinda true! lol! Anyway, Marines are that way, not in touch with their inner self. :)

I never seem to have a problem with people understanding what Aikido is, at least in general terms...either that or the accept the fact that I am kinda "different" anyway, so they don't wanna ask too many questions!

Linda Eskin
11-21-2009, 03:27 PM
At least several people at work have practiced Aikido in the past, so it's usually called by the correct name there.

My mom gets the idea (and might read my blog, so she sees it written), but cannot get herself to pronounce it right. It usually comes out "uh-kiddo" and "aah-kiddo."

My husband has a bunch of creative names for it, none of which I can think of at the moment.

It's not about Aikido, but someone on the boards here a few months ago referred to some other styles as "the punchy-kicky arts." I love that one.

11-22-2009, 02:03 PM
My kids call it key-do but I call it therapy.

11-24-2009, 04:29 PM
I told my students ( I am an elemantary school teacher) that I practice aikido.... they "you-tubed" the art and now they refer to it as "the sword thingy!!"