PDA

View Full Version : suwariwaza shomenuchi ikkyo ura?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

tim evans
11-11-2009, 10:17 PM
After your first movement how do you maintain balance as you tenkan around on your knees to bring him down:)

Michael Hackett
11-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Assuming a right-hand strike, enter deeply to the outside of Uke's right thigh with your left knee and start the forward motion of the tenkan as you bring your knees together for the rest of the turn. YMMV.

Michael Varin
11-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Suwari waza shomen uchi ikkyo ura can be a challenging technique.

Assuming you are relatively comfortable with moving on your knees, it is important to remember to let uke fall into the space that you are occupying as you leave that space, rather than attempting to make uke go around you.

I may have a different approach to this technique than Mr. Hackett, but I would not describe this as a forward motion (although I would say maintain a forward energy) and I also do not bring my knees together when making the turn.

Abasan
11-12-2009, 02:53 AM
By turning on your center-line and moving from your center. If you lift your hips and move your knees (as in the thought process), you're liable to hold on to uke's arm for support which is a no no. As long as you maintain the cutting motion, you would be moving within your own sphere.

dps
11-12-2009, 07:03 AM
After your first movement how do you maintain balance as you tenkan around on your knees to bring him down:)

Lots and lots and lots of knee walking. We use to knee walk single file, including turning four 90 degree angles to complete a circle, around the mat several times.

David

Michael Hackett
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Michael Varin caught a poor choice of words; he improved my description considerably. The forward energy was what I was trying to describe.

maynard
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Don't pivot on your knees. Pivot on the balls of your feet, keeping your weight over your ankles/feet.

ninjaqutie
11-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I find doing it from suwariwaza easier then standing for me. I would say keep your weight over your toes and not your knees. This allows me to move easier and I find I can change directions better.

j0nharris
11-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Well, that's a fine way to do it, but in our dojo, etc, etc., & so forth & so on.
:D

tim evans
11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Lots and lots and lots of knee walking. We use to knee walk single file, including turning four 90 degree angles to complete a circle, around the mat several times.

David
Shoot,David you had to mention tons of knee walking didn,t ya::yuck: because everyone in the dojo knows I,m the worst shikkoer in the bunch::p

Nick P.
11-13-2009, 02:50 PM
My reminder to myself doing suwari waza....
Keep your a$$ over your feet, keep your shoulders over your a$$, and pivot on your feet as mentioned and lots of practice as mentioned. I tend to think of the knee contact as a transition from one stance to another stance.

http://www.aikikai.nl/technieken.html , and check out that suwari waza...