PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy kadomatsu (or materials)?

Please visit our sponsor:

lbb
10-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Greets all,

I'd like to buy or make a kadomatsu for the dojo this New Year. Pine is easy enough to come by in New England, but green bamboo, rice straw, straw rope etc...not so much. Any ideas of where I could find these materials anywhere in Massachusetts or even beyond?

Thanks,

mathewjgano
10-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Greets all,

I'd like to buy or make a kadomatsu for the dojo this New Year. Pine is easy enough to come by in New England, but green bamboo, rice straw, straw rope etc...not so much. Any ideas of where I could find these materials anywhere in Massachusetts or even beyond?

Thanks,

Hi Mary,
I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, or if it will help, but you might try Tsubaki America. I know they use a lot of the rope for many of boundaries around the shrine grounds (I think it's the straw rope). At any rate, Barrish Sensei might be able to point you to where you could find it.
Take care,
Matt

lbb
11-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Matthew, thanks much -- looks like I can get the straw rope from them. I'll keep looking for the rest of it.

Todd Lambert
11-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I wonder if you might try NYC. I think there is a relatively large Japanese community there, and I imagine both Japanese residents and Japanese businesses would be likely to want kadomatsu for themselves. You may be able to source some materials through the Japan Society or other group.

mathewjgano
11-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Matthew, thanks much -- looks like I can get the straw rope from them. I'll keep looking for the rest of it.

Glad I could help!
Take care,
Matthew

Cady Goldfield
11-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Mary,
Check your PMs re: green bamboo.