View Full Version : an introduction and a request

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

William Muslim
10-19-2009, 04:19 AM
namaste, to all of this one's brother and sister aikidoka as well as to all others who may be visiting this site.
This one is Wm. Ibrahim Muslim, a 56 yr. old man with a long and varied history of martial arts study and involvement, as well as a long history in non-martial arts and sports/athletic activities, after which, he has finally arrived at the practice and study of aikido.
This one first heard of aikido during the early 1970's as he was studying a form of Chinese boxing. The sifu under whom he was studying made a comment that if he could turn back the clock so as to repeat his personal study he would choose to study aikido!
There were no aikido dojos readily available in the area this one was in at the time and this one's ego would not have allowed him to study a passive and "peaceful" style such as aikido at that time however, the seed of interest was planted.
Now, as a much older man, this one has the distinct privilege and opportunity to study aikido was three excellent sensei, who seem to this one to each be truly caring, thoughtful and mindfully aware individuals as well as skilled practitioners of the art of peace. This one's young daughter, a blessing herself, is also studying and practicing the art of aikido.
Unfortunately, after so many years of strenuous phsyical activities and due to my body now producing and over abundance of a specific protein that is attacking this one's bones and joints, stopping his body from producing adequate red blood cells and associated neuropathy, this one finds that he can not practice at the level of involvement he would prefer with the winter months posing the greatest challenge and difficulties.
It has been discovered that this one now needs to have both knees and possibly one hip replaced, among other necessary repairs and such is no longer a question of "if" it needs to be done but "when" it will be done.
If any of this one's brother and sister aikidoka have personal experience with having a total knee replacement in either one or both knees and if they would be willing to share information regarding how such has effected their training, the recovery process and rehabilitation, etc., this one would be most grateful and appreciative of the same said information and shared experiences and opinions.
This one offers his sincere thanks and greeting to all.
Namaste, ma'a salaam, shalom, peace.

Any may contact me through this space or at my personal email address <littlebill3@verizon.net> and please reference the same regarding knee replacement or aikido.

10-19-2009, 04:39 AM
Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your physical difficulties - a rheumatoid disorder will surely make it difficult to train even after joint replacement; take it light...

William Muslim
10-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Arigato, my friend Jeremy Morrison.

Unfortunately, this one has a learned response and habit of never taking anything "light"...smile, which worked well as a professional athlete but is not taking a toll on this one.

Life seems to be about learning lessons and this one often learns the same a bit late or after the fact if he learns at all...

Again, sincere thanks for your response.

10-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi William,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

I hope your research into your hip/knee replacements goes well here. You may get more eyes into your inquiry in a forum outside of the Introductions section.

-- Jun

William Muslim
10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Arigato, Jun-san.

This one posted as a separate post outsied of introductions and it have been viewed by approximately then other persons however, there have yet to be any responses.

namaste, ma'a salaam, shalom, peace

Garth Jones
10-19-2009, 08:23 PM
All my joints are original, but I know a number of aikidoists who have had either knee or hip replacements. From what I have seen, you need to make sure that your surgeon understands what you want the joint to be able to do after the replacement - it may affect the joint he or she uses and how the surgery is done. After the surgery you will need to work very hard at the rehab to get the most flexibility and strength you can.

Most of the people I know have had very successful outcomes and are still training today.

Best of luck,

Jeff Scheurer
10-19-2009, 08:56 PM
After seeing my climber/rugby playing/biking/backpacking wife go through drastic ankle surgery i would add that your physical therapist is almost as important as your surgeon, something i would not have guessed before. Please choose a good one and let them know that you desire to return to a high level of usage, not justthe ability to walk around. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but good luck with your recovery.

William Muslim
10-20-2009, 04:12 AM
Arigato, Garth Jones, as the information you provide, from your own expeience and fomr that of those whom you know is very welcome.

When my current sports medicine/ortho surgeon did a scoping, he said he thought to send me to a therapist so that I would do less...smile,. as I work very hard to get back into shape and training again. In two weeks I made more progress and recovered faster than anyone he had seen. Living on the third floor and going up and donw the stair six times or more each day with my daughter seem to help...smile, that and not taking pain medication (clouds one's mind...)
We have discussed aikido and if the replacement would limit my training then I might further delay the replacements, which I have already delayed for ten years.
Sincerely thank you again.

William Muslim
10-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Arigato Jeff, and this one knows the director of the local rehab unit at the hospital where the work might be done. He, too, is a former competitive body builder though he competed at a much higher level than this one. He know how hard this one is willing to work and it was once remarked that htye might need to tie me down rather than try to speed me up...smile.
Sincere thanks.

10-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Many times people with your kind of drive have overcome things and gone on to do things that others would not attempt.

I had the pleasure to meet and train under Mary Heiny Sensei this summer and quite honestly if I had not known she recently had a hip replaced I would never have guessed. One of my teachers also has limitations with his knees and yet he is 4th dan and a powerful aikidoist. I have some knee issues myself and this sensei advised me that if surgery is need not to delay in getting it done. So let me pas along that bit of advice. Don't delay it further due to concerns of being held back in your training. It just might be that the delay is holding you back even more than you realize.

I wish you the best in your journey. Welcome to the forums.:)

William Muslim
10-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Arigato, Cherie, and yes, you may well be correct that it might be better to have the repairs done and then see what arises.

Aikido seems to be aobut adaptation and perhaps, this will simply be something that I have to learn to adapt to.

Sincere thanks for you comments.