PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Hall on BJJ and the 50/50 Guard

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Kevin Leavitt
09-22-2009, 02:10 PM
http://5050bjj.com/archives/947#more-947

Why should you care about this as an Aikidoka?

Well read it closely and look for the wisdom in between the lines.

Ryan is a young competitive BJJ and Submission Grappler. One of the up anc coming stars in the scene. I train with him from time to time and I will tell you that his wisdom and skill defies his age.

Ryan is an innovator and pushes the envelope on grappling. He has come under alot of controversy for the "game" that he has developed and he beats guys that are technically better and more experienced than he. Specifically for his use of his patented 50/50 guard. (don't worry if you don't know what it is, that is not the important part of the discussion) They don't like it for sure!

anyway, I think what is important about his post is expressed in the following:

Like any other legitimate position (mount, half guard, closed guard, x-guard, et al), there is no “magic bullet” that will defeat the 50/50. As one can notice from observing the back and forth between the Alliance and Atos teams, as soon as you develop one counter and use it a couple times, your training partners or opponents will develop a counter to your movement. The cycle is endless because all single moves or techniques are inherently vulnerable to a specific counter technique.

What allows Roger Gracie to be so dominant, almost never losing a position even against the most elite of competition? Is it a specific move that he knows which all others seemingly do not? I could be wrong, but I do not believe this to be the case. Instead, I think we can all agree that the true skill of Jiu-Jitsu is not in one move or series of moves, but rather in movement itself, the ability to understand balance, timing, base, and other fundamental skills that allow a fighter to protect him or herself while putting their opponent in danger.

Balance, timing, base, and other fundamental skills.

Alot of fighters really concentrate on the technical game of BJJ. It allows them to gain skill rapidily by developing a bag of tricks. of course, Ryan has his bag of tricks, but he also has achieved synthesis and understand the realitive value and place these tricks come into play.

I think this is important for us in Aikido to consider as well as we train and try and synthesize our various techniques into something that resembles are holistic and appropriate response to uke.

Anyway, thought it was a very interesting read!

DonMagee
09-22-2009, 02:24 PM
http://5050bjj.com/archives/947#more-947

Why should you care about this as an Aikidoka?

Well read it closely and look for the wisdom in between the lines.

Ryan is a young competitive BJJ and Submission Grappler. One of the up anc coming stars in the scene. I train with him from time to time and I will tell you that his wisdom and skill defies his age.

Ryan is an innovator and pushes the envelope on grappling. He has come under alot of controversy for the "game" that he has developed and he beats guys that are technically better and more experienced than he. Specifically for his use of his patented 50/50 guard. (don't worry if you don't know what it is, that is not the important part of the discussion) They don't like it for sure!

anyway, I think what is important about his post is expressed in the following:

Balance, timing, base, and other fundamental skills.

Alot of fighters really concentrate on the technical game of BJJ. It allows them to gain skill rapidily by developing a bag of tricks. of course, Ryan has his bag of tricks, but he also has achieved synthesis and understand the realitive value and place these tricks come into play.

I think this is important for us in Aikido to consider as well as we train and try and synthesize our various techniques into something that resembles are holistic and appropriate response to uke.

Anyway, thought it was a very interesting read!

You have any videos on the 50/50 guard? I'd like to learn more about it. It sounds interesting.

Kevin Leavitt
09-22-2009, 02:44 PM
No actually I don't Don. I will look on you Tube tonight. I train with Ryan and 50/50 from time to time since they are within walking distance of my house!

50/50 does not really work for me as an old, inflexible guy since it pretty much requires you to bend your legs back over your head with no tension! I use parts of it in principle, but mine is more like an inverted guard. It works really well actually though as it is a different set of conditions that alot of guys are not used to and so they don't know how to respond to it.

This is basically the OODA loop process working at it's finest, which Ryan really addresses in his writings, but does not even know that! Technical fighters experience a dissonance and they don't have the principles to fall back on, hence they "get behind" and it screws them all up!

Anyway pull up some vids of Ryan on youtube and you will see how he fights from the bottom with 50/50 and then the inverted triangle.

Training at 50/50 BJJ is just like training at any other school. They concentrate on the fundamentals. What is unique though is that you have two world class brown belts, Ryan Hall and Septh Smith that understand the importance of timing, balance, and all that stuff that is important in the process.

Just wanted to make it clear that they don't just train in a methodology that sets the 50/50 guard as their base of operation. In fact, I have never trained it there! It simply is not apart of my game plan as I am old and inflexible!

ChrisHein
09-22-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C3168011BD13A7CF&search_query=50+50+guard