View Full Version : Finite number of hardfalls alotted?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

03-28-2002, 01:52 PM
Many of my sempai admonish to always take the softest falls possible, that one's back only has so many hard falls in it.
Are there not wizened old judoka who have recieved koshi-nage ukemi for decades? Or do they recieve falls less and less as they get on?
Personaly my back always feels more limber and supple after koshi practice.But at 32 I guess I'm still young.

Chuck Clark
03-28-2002, 08:59 PM
I don't know how "wizened" I am, but I started doing ukemi when I was six and am still at it after just passing the double nickle birthday.

I certainly don't take as many as I used to, but I STILL CAN when necessary. I much prefer to be thrown by a competent and confident tori that has good control. Whether it is hard or soft isn't much of an issue to me. If the technique is "appropriate" and well done, the ukemi matches. If your entire system is relaxed in the proper position for whatever ukemi is necessary and you have a good surface that absorbs shock well you should be good for many years yet.

Remember, most of the energy you have to deal with should be your own. As you get older, just go a bit slower and softer. It should still be REAL.

Keep it up!