PDA

View Full Version : Aiki-Jujutsu and Aikido

Please visit our sponsor:

TEARO
09-15-2009, 11:30 PM
I would like to know what are the differences between Aikido and Aiki Jujutsu?

Chris Covington
09-16-2009, 07:28 AM
I would suggest looking through the old posts in this forum and the aikijujutsu forum on e-budo (http://www.e-budo.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13). There are some interesting posts about this topic in both places.

Good luck,

Kevin Leavitt
09-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Very, very broad question! What are the differences between Aikido?

It is all based on interpretation and focus and YMMV depending on the instructor/school.

There is alot of bad aikido and Aiki Jujitsu out there. Alot of bad stuff. So it is like asking what is the difference between a Yugo and a Fiat.

Done properly if they are concentrating on Aiki...there should not be much difference at all. The fact that Aiki is in the front of the name should mean that this is the focus.

Also do a search on the forums, this has been covered before here many times.

gregstec
09-16-2009, 07:39 AM
I would like to know what are the differences between Aikido and Aiki Jujutsu?

Oh, about five letters :D

(sorry, could not resist that)

Greg

Howard Popkin
09-16-2009, 07:45 AM
Gregu-san,

I hereby promote you to Sandan - Sarcasm ryu

:)

gregstec
09-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Gregu-san,

I hereby promote you to Sandan - Sarcasm ryu

:)

Thank You! Coming from the Soke of Sarcasm ryu, that is high praise indeed - and it will go well with my Rokudan in Banter ryu :rolleyes:

Howard Popkin
09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I have been menkyo kaiden in sake ryu since 2003 :)

gregstec
09-16-2009, 01:08 PM
I have been menkyo kaiden in sake ryu since 2003 :)

Ah, the liquid Ryus - I am very proficient in too many to list here... :)

(I think we better stop while we are ahead with this before Jun kicks us off the site - see you on Friday)

ninjaqutie
09-16-2009, 01:33 PM
I used to take aikijitsu. There are some simularities, but it also would depend on the teacher/dojo I would suppose. The place I took aikijitsu was a bit more hard. Lots of judo-like throws, joint locks, punching, kicking (the highest was the solar plexus, though most were groin level or below). There were definately techniques that were very aikido-like (though a tad different). The rolls and the falls are close, but again... not quite the same. Also, I had to relearn the sword a bit as the cut was done differently.

ninjaqutie
09-16-2009, 01:37 PM
P.S. I feel honored to be among those so highly ranked in sarcasm and banter ryu. :D