PDA

View Full Version : Ouch.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

shihonage
03-27-2002, 07:50 PM
So I was walking back from the park, the weather was beautiful, birds chirping, sun shining, police capturing criminals, etc...

WHAT THE... I'm flying forward and down like a 6"1 hammer.

Now, I get this funny feeling, that if I wasn't practicing Aikido, this thing under my feet would be something trivial.

Like a rock. Or a tree branch. Or something.

But NOOO... someone up there went "Okay, he practices Aikido, let's have some fun !"

And so this all happened in 0.5 seconds... I think "I'm falling, must roll CAN'T ROLL BECAUSE MY FEET ARE GLUED TOGETHER STOP STOP !" and then I did what I usually do to stop a roll midway - put my hands in front of me... which is fine, but my left knee hit the asphalt with what seemed like a loud thud... I'm surprised I actually can still walk... (knocks on wood).

This all happened without my conscious intervention, I almost instantly found myself crouching down on the asphalt, saying "Oh FUCK !"

Anyway, the powers that be decided to send me, instead of say a rock, or a tree branch, or something equally normal... A PLASTIC CIRCLE.

Somehow I stepped into it (so much for awareness) with BOTH OF MY FEET and then flew forward. :eek:

mj
03-27-2002, 08:39 PM
hmmm

In my old days *sigh*
we used to practise (in Judo) a front breakfall.
All you did was fall straight forward, with no occassion to avoid the impact, and strike your fore-arms against the surface (,as in a 'breakfall') to dilute the impact. Not very aesthetic, but practical.

I have found this most useful when falling on stairs, up or down.

Of course...this doesn't help you travel back in time, shiho :D

shihonage
03-27-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by mj
hmmm

In my old days *sigh*
we used to practise (in Judo) a front breakfall.
All you did was fall straight forward, with no occassion to avoid the impact, and strike your fore-arms against the surface (,as in a 'breakfall') to dilute the impact. Not very aesthetic, but practical.

That is nearly what I did, only I landed on my hands... I did manage to reduce my height while falling, and the actual landing on the hands was soft... it would've been near perfect if not for my knee... I think I'll skip a class tomorrow... cringing at the thought of shikko.

akiy
03-27-2002, 10:12 PM
Hi Aleksey,

Sounds like some really bad misfortune! I hope your knee feels better soon.

Of course, on a related note, such things like this sure reminds you how little it takes for kuzushi to work!

Hmm... I may have to do some exercises of rolling with the feet together in the ukemi class this upcoming Saturday...

-- Jun

Jorx
03-31-2002, 10:54 AM
If I would've time I would've done a fall we call "butterfly"... So you leap up and land on your hands and then take your body gently down - something you see when a fast ikkiyo ura is done for example. If this couldn't have been possible then maybe turning and yokoukemi? But it's pointless chitchat... I hope you will be able to practice soon again...

As we have -20 here in winter we are able to practice quite a lot street ukemi by ourselves... And I haven't been always successful in that... -ouch-;)

Jorgen