PDA

View Full Version : Aikido stances

Please visit our sponsor:

Aikidonewbie
09-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I am a beginner of Aikido and the thing that I get most confused on is the correct stance to take. I constantly forget which leg goes forward, and then when I am Nagi, I forget which side to move to after Uke attacks. Is there a predictable sequence of events when one is in a ai-hanmi stance or gyako-hanmi stance?

ninjaqutie
09-07-2009, 07:51 PM
It really depends on the attack. It just takes time to get things down. :) I was rather confused at first as well. In fact, I still am at times!

Shadowfax
09-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Don't sweat it. Even more seasoned students make these kinds of mistakes. I get my feet confused all the time. Its just a part of the process.

In the beginning its all confusing. Just enjoy the experience and don't worry about making mistakes or getting it right the first time. Aikido is a lifetime study. Go, train, think less and just do. Sooner or later it does begin to make sense. ;)

eyrie
09-07-2009, 09:10 PM
It kinda depends on what you're trying to do... which at your level probably means what technique you're attempting to do. At a fundamental level, it's all about managing your spatial relationship with another person.

As to WHICH foot to step forward with, and where to put WHICH foot, it's much easier to show this in person. Either your seniors or your instructors should be able to explain and show to you.

Janet Rosen
09-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Just remember....it's usually your other left foot you need to move {grin...just kididng} - seriously, it's a problem for many of us when we start and the only cure is showing up and practicing!

Darryl Cowens
09-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm slowly getting used to what foot should be forward.... alternating from left to right... all of that footwork stuff... compared to the first night and constantly being corrected, to the point I just felt like standing there and waiting for someone to tell me what to do... ;)

Even in the space of a few weeks little things do start to absorb... :)

ChrisHein
09-08-2009, 12:23 AM
As a general rule, grabbing attacks start off gyaku hanmi, and striking attacks start off ai hanmi, not always, but mostly. Ushiro techniques are dependent upon the specific techniques, but most times can be done either gyaku or Ai hanmi.

There are really only a few variations and once you get comfortable with the forms they will start to come naturally.

PeterR
09-08-2009, 02:10 AM
I can't resist - there is no stance in aikido - just in the kata.

Actually the most frustrating thing about visiting clubs is those pesky stances and doing your best not to confuse your partner by doing it your way. But Chris is right - it will be comfortable soon enough.

eyrie
09-08-2009, 02:24 AM
I'm sure Daniel's question was about the footwork rather than the stance itself.

dalen7
09-08-2009, 03:21 AM
I am a beginner of Aikido and the thing that I get most confused on is the correct stance to take. I constantly forget which leg goes forward, and then when I am Nagi, I forget which side to move to after Uke attacks. Is there a predictable sequence of events when one is in a ai-hanmi stance or gyako-hanmi stance?

I used to get all tripped up over the footwork/stances, etc. [still do sometimes] :)

Basically I look at it like walking. Its pretty much staying natural, your weight centered and not reaching, and you have it.

I will say if I had access to a yoshinkan aikido dojo when I first started I would have gone there. [that is if I knew what I know now.] It would have made it easier to get the hang of things as they actually drill stuff like this from the very beginning. [Some people arent into this, to each there own, but for me it has its place for sure.] ;)

Best to you in your training.

Peace

dAlen

p.s.
Peter has a point, in the end once your comfortable, it really doesnt matter - you adjust to the situation... but until then, nothing helps better than having something to provide a point of reference. :)

Flintstone
09-08-2009, 07:08 AM
We share the mugamae no kamae in both our styles, I'll dare to say.

Kevin Leavitt
09-08-2009, 10:42 AM
No stances, but footwork matters. Footwork should be a natural progression just like walking...except that it is not.

You have to learn to shift your weight, move your body as a unit do this while being grabbed, poked, prodded, punched.

What I observe alot is that we all know how to walk down the street, however once someone attacks, we stop. Grab the wrist, Stop. Shomen strike, stop. Whatever it is the movement become technique and stop...THEN move again.

Sometimes there is an over emphasis on footwork and we get "tied" up between worrying about what the hands are doing and the feet...it is like walking, chewing gum, and rubbing your head and patting your stomach at the same time! So much to worry about!

It can be challenging for beginners to put all the pieces together learning to move as a unit and keep moving without ever stopping that motion.

Not easy at all if you ask me, and alot of the "big secret" behind what we do in Aikido...keep moving your feet.

James Edwards
09-09-2009, 08:35 AM

Actually the most frustrating thing about visiting clubs is those pesky stances and doing your best not to confuse your partner by doing it your way. But Chris is right - it will be comfortable soon enough.

No stance? What about the Kamae? Hanmi? Hitoemi? Even Jigotai?

I think stances do matter as well.

Flintstone
09-09-2009, 08:51 AM

I'd say like this: Kamae is just a learning tool for the "kata". Hanmi, hitoemi, jigotai... they happen during the technique and are of a dynamic nature, not "waiting/ready stances".

Just my 0.02€.

Dazzler
09-09-2009, 09:02 AM

Kamae is a fundamental base of Aikido and should constantly trained and refined.

As such stances are very important within the exercises practiced within Aikido classes.

However the question is - Are you actually doing Aikido or practicing towards it in a class?.

If ones definition of Aikido is that its the stuff done in Aikido classes then the answer remains yes.

If ones view is that Aikido is something a little more than this - perhaps a spontaneous blending of yin/yang energies - then there is really no restiction or fixed form (now who said no fixed forms? :) ) so stance is of lesser importance.

What takes place in the class is preparation to reach this higher level perhaps but not yet Aikido as envisaged by O'sensei ?

Regards

D

eyrie
09-09-2009, 09:45 PM
alot of the "big secret" behind what we do in Aikido...keep moving your feet. Noooooo.... the BIG secret is coordinating left and right, top and bottom, front and back all at once... Some are simply stuck on left and right.... :D

tenshoibuki
09-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Which foot step forward is obvious in yoshinkan style aikido because most of the technique is seperated into 1st n 2nd. The 1st one usually is entering technique whereby shite will enter before uke attack so shite can overpower uke. 1st technique would be using ai hanmi stance since the back leg will need to be pull forward to do the entering move. migi mean right leg forward,hidari mean left leg forward.Just same as your hand position. so u wont confuse about it.

Meanwhile, the 2nd techniques is gyaku hanmi stance by focusing on front leg to do the turning. Usually the 2nd technique is shite was being overpowered or waiting for uke attack and do a turning move to use uke force against himself.To know which leg should be forward,its easy ;) . look at uke hands n leg n you suppose to be at the opposite side of him.

Yoshinkan style has really simplified the original aikido to an easier to learn form.

Aikidonewbie
09-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I have attended 5 classes so far and I still have the deer in the headlights look after the sensei demonstrates a technique. I guess that I will have to accept that the fact that there is a steep learning curve in this martial art......

mab0303
09-24-2009, 12:59 PM
good for you, daniel! i'm three months old. everyone has been so patient and accepting of my foibles and the beginning instructor has (shown) no ego. very nurturing environment for someone who feels really weird and dense at times.

mary

Shadowfax
09-24-2009, 02:39 PM
LOL Daniel I've been training for about 4 months now and I still get that look sometimes. I think I finally really started to get comfortable at the dojo about a month in. I'm still always mixing up hanmis and grabs and forgetting how to count to 4... but its getting less confusing.

The other night my partner... who happened to be my sensei reminded me it was my turn to throw him... I blinked looked at him a second and said," oh right I'm ok... your Uke...." I really need to buy that t-shirt. :d