PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Fiona U
03-26-2002, 01:17 PM
Hi,

I really want to start Aikido, but am rather overweight at the moment. I'm losing weight gradually, but would like to start Aikido now. The question is, would it be a good/bad idea to start with a pretty crappy level of fitness at the moment?

Thanks,

Fiona

Brian Vickery
03-26-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Fiona U
Hi,

I really want to start Aikido, but am rather overweight at the moment. I'm losing weight gradually, but would like to start Aikido now. The question is, would it be a good/bad idea to start with a pretty crappy level of fitness at the moment?

Thanks,

Fiona

Hello Fiona!

...I can only comment on the environment in the dojo where I train, but each student trains to their own level & ability. I believe you could approach aikido training in the same manner your handling your weight loss ...gradually! Do the best you can right now, as your physical fitness increases, so will your aikido skills & abilities! Just join a dojo, relax & enjoy the classes!

Regards,

erikmenzel
03-26-2002, 01:45 PM
WARNING: GENERALISATION ALERT!!!!

Cut the excuses, it is always the right time to start aikido.

END GENERALISATION!!!!!!

Good luck!!

tedehara
03-26-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Brian Vickery

...Do the best you can right now, as your physical fitness increases, so will your aikido skills & abilities! Just join a dojo, relax & enjoy the classes!

Regards,

I'm just agreeing with Brian. :)

If you want to start Aikido, do it now!
Don't worry about the small stuff, it will fall into place or make itself irrelevant in time.

thomson
03-26-2002, 04:09 PM
Hey Fiona,
Overweight or not it is a good time to start aikido. :D
I am in the fat, out of shape, category myself. I am 5'8" and weigh about 280 pounds and 41 percent of that is fat; however, I am enjoying aikido immensely. Sure there are some things that concern me on the mat due to excess weight and lack of physical conditioning, but it hasn't stopped me from at least trying everything. The only thing that really freaks me out is front (side?) breakfalls, I always managed to "tweak" something in my back, but I continue to do them in an attempt to get it right.
:freaky:
Anyhow, I'm sure you'll enjoy aikido, just don't wait. If you do, you'll regret it. I wanted to do aikido for years and ended up putting it off until about 2 months ago. Now, I'm wishing I'd started way back when. Oh well...:rolleyes:

Good Luck and Enjoy! :p
Mike

warriorwoman
03-26-2002, 10:33 PM
I would just like to second (third, fourth) that advice! Never put off something that you really want to do in life - never! Talk to the sensei at the dojo where you would like to train. I'm sure he/she will accept you now. It's more important to have the correct attitude than the correct body. Bodies are easier to adapt than minds. I sincerely wish you happy training!
janet dtantirojanarat
www.warriorwoman.org

William Boyd
03-26-2002, 11:48 PM
:) Hi there, Just wanted to add my two cents on this. Don't worry about your weight. just start aikido and have fun.:D :ai: :ki: :do:

Bronson
03-27-2002, 04:27 AM
To paraphrase one of my favorite martial arts authors, Dave Lowry: If you are in good enough shape to walk into the dojo under your own power, then you are probably in good enough shape to start training.

Don't let your size stop you. I've worked with some pretty big aikidoka and they were still able to move with extreme grace and fluidity. Better than most of the "in shape" people in the dojo (I'm in shape! round's a shape :p )

Go, train, have fun, you'll love it

Bronson

thomson
03-27-2002, 07:20 AM
Bronson,
Who is the original author of the quote you use in your signature? I like it, it has a hard ring of truth to it.

Mike

Stocko
03-27-2002, 08:16 AM
Don't worry about it - you'll be fine.

I was really overweight when I started Aikido, but I just got on with it, stuck at my weight loss and all is now fine.

Saying that though, in my very first class, I managed to split the seat of my trousers with my first forward roll :blush:

Fiona U
03-27-2002, 11:10 AM
Thanks sooo much! I really wanted to do this, but was very nervous. You've given me the reassurance I needed.

Thanks,

Fiona

p.s. I like the quote too.

Bronson
03-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Who is the original author of the quote you use in your signature?

Yukiyoshi Takamura. I kept meaning to fix the omision of his name with the quote. Thanks for reminding me to get off my butt and do it ;) I don't even remember where I read that. I think it was one of the online aikido magazine articles. My memory is really fuzzy on the details but I'm sure he was a sword art practitioner....anybody got anything else on him?

Bronson

Hmmm, just checked the preview of my message and his name didn't appear after the signature. I'll have to play with that later when I have more time.

zoobie
03-28-2002, 05:46 PM
I was quite overweight and out of shape when I began training.My sempai were all VERY compassionate and understanding.Aikido follows the middle way, work at your own pace.:ai: :ki: :do:

Anat Amitay
03-30-2002, 03:04 AM
Hi there!
about overweight, you shouldn't worry about it. Alot of people start aikido when they dont feel that good about how they look, but if they are working on losing weight, aikido helps them shape their body, keeping it fit and getting their flexibility better.
We have some people who started training after the age of 40 and in the beginning they feared their age will limit them. Now when they look back they hardly believe that they are rolling as they are, moving as they are, etc. It has done them only good.
I think it's the same way with weight.
So enjoy Aikido and you'll see that it will only lift your spirit and make it easier to handle the things you want to achive.
Good luck,
Anat