PDA

View Full Version : Sensei and bowling accidents...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Erik Jögimar
08-29-2009, 04:05 AM
Why is it that sensei always finds the worst imagineable place to stand in while on the mat? just about every class i go to, sensei shows a technique, we go up and practice, and very often when its time to take ukemi, Sensei is in the hot zone....aka, where this sack of potatoes is going to land. It's the same story with Ukemi.

Do some senseis just have bad luck, or do you guys put us up for unannounced ukemi practice? ;)

Has anyone else noticed this interesting phenomena?

Linda Eskin
08-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Aaaah! I had that happen just last night. I was supposed to complete a technique, and he was right there - about 3 times. Maybe they are trying to give us opportunities to practice going with what the situation presents, and adapting, rather than mindlessly putting Uke where we think they are "supposed to" go.

SmilingNage
08-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Ahh bowling for senseis a favorite pastime of the unaware

Ryan Seznee
08-30-2009, 08:42 AM
My sensei is big on ukime, and as a result, she does it on purpose some times to see how well you can stop. Often times when one goes to a seminar, there are many people on a small mat, so she felt it is important to train us how to avoid over people falling toward you or walls. Maybe they do it on purpose for that reason?

kotadama
08-30-2009, 01:37 PM
tori needs to pay attention where he trows uke, so it might be a test of your sensei:D

James Edwards
08-31-2009, 04:07 AM
Most of the sensei I've seen glide effortlessly through the chaos. The students know where they are at all times and they are also always aware of students flying at them. Comes without saying. They're martial artists after all. Sometimes they even step over limbs and bodies (still airborne!) without changing their pace. Pretty amazing.

Also I don't just see this in the local dojos, even with overseas instructors and those from different organisations.

Jason Morgan
09-04-2009, 10:28 AM
It happens at all of our classes. Uke going towards sensei is worse than smoke following you when you're toasting marshmallows.

MikeLogan
09-04-2009, 12:14 PM
It happens at all of our classes. Uke going towards sensei is worse than smoke following you when you're toasting marshmallows.Well, you know the remedy for that, Jason? Just start saying "White Rabbit, White Rabbit, White Rabbit" until the smoke stops following you.

I am not sure if this works on teachers, .., will get back to you after next class. :D

Shadowfax
09-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Ugh it happened to me last night. Uke threw me at Sensei. We were just both so into it we were not paying attention. He was really nailing the throw and I was having a blast with backrolls, Mat was pretty busy and there was lots of bowling for Senseis going on. LOL he just looked down stepped aside and told us to continue.