PDA

View Full Version : kiss of the dragon

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Largo
03-24-2002, 10:03 PM
Anyone seen kiss of the Dragon? It's a Jet li flick. Interestingly, in some of the knife fighting scenes, it looks surprisingly like he's using aikido. Yes, I know he's not...but they were still really great scenes.

Bruce Baker
03-26-2002, 10:10 AM
There are only so many ways that the human body can move, and with thousands of years of swords and knives .... you will see that most of Aikido fits very nicely into sword and knife training?

There is a different rythm to many Japanese and Chinese martial arts, which makes watching and practice interesting, but don't try to mix them until you are well into your training and sick and tired of one rythm.

There is an explosiveness about the movies, and many Chinese fighters, but remember that their level of fitness allows for this level of action ... and they don't allow for outtakes and mistakes, like some of the trailers in Jackie Chan films? They also show the accidents and thousands of injuries Jackie Chan has incurred over the years, too.

As for relevance to Aikido, I think you have just opened the door to learning about different fighting techniques that have been brought into different fighting systems over the last thousand years? Funny how they look alike, because in essence, they are.

Largo
03-26-2002, 08:47 PM
and they don't allow for outtakes and mistakes, like some of the trailers in Jackie Chan films
Actually, I think the outtakes are the best parts. I love seeing the superhuman guys from the films tripping and goofing up. I would've loved to see a Crouching Tiger outtake reel.

Abasan
04-06-2002, 12:02 AM
I prefer Jet Li's lastest...(about 2-3 months old now) 'The One'. It has him pitting against his alternate universe self (cause the other guy killed 23 other alternates with the intention of being the One and only, sounds familiar?)

Anyway, the baddy uses ... Hsing I. (1 of 3 chinese internal martial arts)

The goodie uses ... Pa Kua (1 of 3 .. the above mentioned).

Amazing fight is all i can say. Made me want to learn Pa Kua straight away. Until I realised... i really don't want to be a jack of all trades, and i don't really have two lives to master aikido and pakua. So...

paw
04-10-2002, 07:16 AM
IMO, Fist of Legend is still the finest film Jet Li has made.

Largo
04-10-2002, 08:28 PM
I'm with ya on "fist of legend". 2nd would be a tie between the defender or twin warriors though.

Lyle Bogin
04-11-2002, 08:45 AM
I highly recommend kung fu film fans see Shaolin Soccer :).

Abasan
04-11-2002, 08:58 AM
Fist of legend - jet li is quite good but a recent remake.

try find the original though... about 5-8 years back... its really good.

and if you like jet li... i think you should see Swordman 2. (he wasn't casted in swordman 1). Its cool!