PDA

View Full Version : Dojo in Alabama??

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Jeanne Dulaney
08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi, everyone...

At my son's recommendation, I'd like to at least do a little observing and see if Aikido is something I'd like to add to my life. I went online to a site called Aikido world (?) and found a dojo run by Myers Sensei and Greg Jennings.

Unfortunately, the phone number doesn't work and the website listed seems to have been hijacked by a domain selling service or something.

Does anyone know if Greg or Myers Sensei are still in the region and how to contact them if they are? Failing that, does anyone know what the nearest dojo to Montgomery, AL is?

Thanks,
Jeanne

Bryan Webb
08-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi,
Greg moved a while back, Ohio I believe.
I do not know if Myers Sensei is still teaching there. I will try to find out.
Auburn /Opelika could be closest (Sensei Jim Novak).
Have you checked the dojo locator on aikiweb.com ???

There are several dojos in the Birmingham area.

If he ever gets to the Birmingham area , he is welcome to work out with us.

Regards,
Bryan Webb
Aikido of Birmingham

Jeanne Dulaney
08-07-2009, 09:35 AM
After you replied, I tried the dojo locator here. The listings that are there still include Capital City. The email addresses don't work.

Unfortunately, due to my own work schedule, it's going to be difficult to travel to Auburn for an on-going program, but I may be able to at least do some observation that will help in my own personal development (at this point, committing to another activity might be very hard, anyway).

Jeanne

Greg Jennings
06-08-2010, 12:16 PM
See http://capitalcityaikido.org/ .

Adam Huss
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Looks like there is an ASU affiliate located within the university in Montgomery as well. Not sure how they work that though...from personal experience I know if you aren't a member of the Ohio State University it is a pain in the bum to get in with them and train. Maybe your university is more accommodating?

Looks like the website Greg put up is to an actively running dojo as well.

Best of luck in your training,

TreyPrice
06-10-2010, 08:37 AM
The web site is up and runnig. We are activily training Mondays and wednesdays. In fact we had a great nigh last night.

Come see us!

Anjisan
06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Looks like there is an ASU affiliate located within the university in Montgomery as well. Not sure how they work that though...from personal experience I know if you aren't a member of the Ohio State University it is a pain in the bum to get in with them and train. Maybe your university is more accommodating?

Looks like the website Greg put up is to an actively running dojo as well.

Best of luck in your training,

I know the instructor personally as we have come up through the ranks together here at Aikido of Madison. Unless things have changed, one does not have to be a student or faculty at UAB to train. Just contact Ken directly through the website which can be accessed through the Aikido Schools of Ueshiba website. If you can make the trip he is a good instructor and ASU--in my opinion-is very much a quality organization under Saotome and Ikeda sensei's.

Greg Jennings
06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
It's pretty simple. If you're in Birmingham, the UAB ASU dojo is great. If you're in Auburn, the AU ASU dojo is great.

If you're in Montgomery, however, Capital City is the only aikido dojo within a convenient drive.

Good, honest training, focused on basics.

TreyPrice
06-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Capital City Aikido has gone several years without an active web presence. Our numbers are small, but we have still provided high quality training. Mr Myers is actively teaching, and his experience is incredible. CCAC has been one of the best kept secrets in the martial arts community in the Montgomery area.

If any of you are in our area give us a call.