View Full Version : Question about setting up a two day demo/class

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Guilty Spark
08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm looking into having my Aikido instructor come into my work on a week-end and give a demonstration to the soldiers there.

I'd like him to give the typical kinda flashy ohh ahhhhh demo but I'm also looking at him spending some hours giving the soldiers there some basics with a view to them defending themselves in an urban environment with gear on.

I'm not sure if it will be a hi or miss with my chain of command. I'm thinking I can get him in on a Saturday and Sunday for starters, I wanna make maxim use of that time. (I remember one week-end years ago the whole Saturday was spent in the horse rider stance punching air, useless)

What type of training should I look at asking my sensei to perform over the two days? What kind of techniques lend themselves well to the environment I've mentioned? Does anyone have any practice or experiences with these kinda 2 day deals?

Michael Hackett
08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
What kind of unit do you belong to? That would make a difference in what they might like to see and learn. If it is a maintenance unit, the soldiers probably don't get too much time to spend on warrior skills. On the other hand, if they are a special ops unit, they could probably use something different and more advanced. In either event, do your demo at the outset to capture their interest and then teach them to do some of the cool stuff from the demo during the classes.

08-05-2009, 01:40 AM
You can't go wrong with musubi, awase and zanshin if you're dealing in urban settings.

As for aikido techniques itself, wouldn't it be a hindrance since you're probably armed with subs/rifles etc. Might want to try some things with Jo... mainly about controlling opponents who already have a hand on your weapon. FWIW.

Dan Rubin
08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
You might start by asking the soldiers in your unit what sorts of things they would like to learn in such a class.

Ron Tisdale
08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
I like the idea of protecting your weapon, hand gun (katate mochi/ ryote mochi/ryo katate mochi) or rifle (jo waza). But I'm clueless, so... ;)

Guilty Spark
08-05-2009, 10:19 PM
It's an infantry company.

One emphasis I'd like to center on is controlling and detailing people. In the age of youtube it's not beneficial to have someone punching someone in the face repeatedly on camera.

08-06-2009, 03:41 AM
Interesting... chushin is what you should focus on then I suppose. Its going to be easier to get that from a short course and it'll help negate the preemptiveness of nage in your situation. Ikkyo, sankyo and yonkyo might be your primary waza of choice.