PDA

View Full Version : Hello there.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

the usual
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Just popping in to say "hi" per the instructions! A bit about myself....I do/have not ever taken Aikido but am very interested in doing so. There is a dojo near my house and I would like to ask the folk on here about whether or not it's the "real deal." I would appreciate it if someone could tell me which forum I should post such a query.

Yours in Noncombat,
Zach

Voitokas
08-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Welcome! Maybe the General forum? Aikido's certainly worth going to watch a class, and, if you like the general atmosphere and feel of what you see, trying out for a few months at least!

the usual
08-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Thank you, sir. I'll post my query there.

Shadowfax
08-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Welcome Zach. I was pretty unsure about Aikido myself. The advice I got was just go and try it. Let me just pass that along. Im 2 months into my training and loving it more every week.

the usual
08-05-2009, 09:12 AM
That's certainly ecouraging!

Shadowfax
08-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I just experienced my first Seminar this weekend and now I jsut can't get enough. I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences. What part of PA are you in?

the usual
08-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm in philadelphia, good sir. I'm very close to the Doshinkan Dojo. Just went for a visit today, I watched a class and found the atmosphere very friendly. The Sensei came and talked to me as I watched. A very friendly guy.

Shadowfax
08-05-2009, 09:59 PM
LOL I'm a ma'am not a sir...ROTFL! but not to worry.

You should have a nice selection of Dojos in the Philly area.I'm glad to hear you visited and found the dojo to be inviting. I know for me one of the big draws was how very friendly and outgoing the Senseis were when I met them.

I was incredibly nervous the first few times I went. Now Stepping on the mat is always one of the highlights of my day.

the usual
08-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Ahh. Sorry about the honorific mess up. I knew you were a lady, I just had sir in my head.

I know I'll be nervous the first few times. I hate looking silly in front of people.....like just now, haha.

Shadowfax
08-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Not to worry I know how you feel. I tend to call people by the wrong name all the time. Even ones I've known for years.

What I have found and really appreciated in the dojo is that even when I am working with someone who ranks high above me they are all so patient and willing to work down to my level and help me learn.

I'm really kinesthetic and its hard for me to grasp a movement until I have felt it correctly, so sometimes it can seem like I'm never gonna figure it out. Seeing it demonstrated does not do nearly as much for me as feeling it does. The cool thing is every one of my fellow Aikidoka is right behind me wanting me to succeed and never makes me feel bad. Actually I have found that only I can make me feel silly or stupid. So I laugh at myself and keep going. It eventually will come clear when it is time.

Don't let fear of looking silly slow you down. Everyone had to begin at the beginning just like us and you will find that they remember how it felt. :)

the usual
08-05-2009, 11:20 PM
I know you're right. I feel much the same way. I think I'm much the same way in how I learn technique. Haha. I'm sure I'll do fine, just gotta jump in with both feet.

akiy
08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi Zach,

Welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun