View Full Version : History of Aikido in hilo hawaii ...ongoing project

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

jamie yugawa
06-28-2009, 09:57 PM
I have been working on a project History of Aikido on the big island of hawaii and was wondering is there enough interest in this for me to make a book ? I wanted some outside feedback, is there enough interest out there to warrant this ? For myself i have found very little on the internet and even less in book form . So the Aikidoka and former practicing aikidoka have been very generous with their time and information , I have even found some great "lost pictures " too . Another question is what types of questions should i ask ? I am a novice journalist with a digital recorder and a thirst for information ,sometimes i don't know what to ask . Have access to early pioneers of aikido such as Takashi Nonaka ,Hajime Uyeki,George yamamoto ,Richard Okano and Kenneth Kimura has been invaluable in this so far . Please any feedback would be great .Thank you .:)

06-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Any time you can pass on knowledge, particularly in the interest of preserving historical information, it's a good thing. Sadly, the prospects for even a financial break-even on such a niche topic are not good. I do hope you can find a way. Look into "print-on-demand" publishing, rather than mass-market. Much less up-front investment.

jamie yugawa
06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Thank you for the tip. yeah the facts i have been learning have been great ,the hilo aikido club started in 1953 has had a great sources of knowledge from O-Sensei(1961 visit ),Koichi tohei ,Koretoshi maruyama ,Akira tohei ,tamura sensei ,etc .On the Aikikai side (the hilo aikido club has been associated with Ki aikido since the split ) My senseis bob and barbara klein have dedicated their lives to the spirit of aikido for over 30 years in hilo . hopefully i will get to finish this project soon.(lots of transcribing !!):circle: :square: :triangle: