View Full Version : Hello

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

06-26-2009, 07:11 AM
HI Everyone

My name is Jay, I am 40 years old and live in london. My main purpose of joining Aikiweb is to learn about the philosophy side of Aikido. I always wanted to learn Aikido but I go to a few lessons and then back off. Can you guys please please help me so I can stick to My lessons and learn the art properly. Any suggestions?any books to read? I have just bought " The Spirit of Aikido" I hope it helps me. Any help will be much apricated. My e-mail jdsikander@yahoo.co.uk.

Many Thanks

06-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Welcome! You just have to practise... Reading is good, but it takes a few years of just doing it for one to be clean enough in technique that it's really possible to really start to intellectualise about it. Give classes more of a chance, maybe two or three classes a week for six months before you decide to back off. I'm sure there are a lot of dojos in London; look around for one that has an atmosphere that you think you'll enjoy!

Janet Rosen
06-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Welcome Jawaid.
I don't think there are any books or philosophical discussions that are going to make you want to get on the mat or stay on the mat. That has to come from YOU because aikido isn't primarily reading or thinking - it's physical training with a partner in the forms of the art.

It is possible you haven't found a dojo or instructor that is the right "fit" for you, so it is surely worth, as Jeremy notes, visiting a few to get a sense of each dojo's style and culture.

06-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi Jawaid,

Welcome to AikiWeb. Asking your question outside of the Introduction forum may garner more responses, just so you know.

-- Jun

06-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Welcome. There are several kind people on this forum that will be willing to talk with you if you have something to ask. The main thing I would say is to go and train. Even if you don't feel like going, go. Chances are that once you are there, you will be glad you came.