PDA

View Full Version : Concussion guidelines

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Janet Rosen
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
In today's NYT (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/08/sports/08concussions.html?scp=2&sq=concussion&st=cse)

Since we are all grown ups, we won't lie to ourselves, and we WILL rest properly every time we hit our heads.

Karo
06-08-2009, 10:38 PM
This is a very useful reminder, especially since I encountered the mat rather forcefully several times this evening, courtesy of an over-enthusiastic black belt :uch:

Karo

mathewjgano
06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
In today's NYT (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/08/sports/08concussions.html?scp=2&sq=concussion&st=cse)

Since we are all grown ups, we won't lie to ourselves, and we WILL rest properly every time we hit our heads.

After an opponant mistook my head for the soccer ball, I was "mildly" concussed. The doctor I saw the next day said I shouldn't have been allowed to sleep the whole night through because there's a risk of coma, and that I should have been awakened every little while. :uch:
If in doubt, get it checked out!

lbb
06-09-2009, 01:07 PM
This is a very useful reminder, especially since I encountered the mat rather forcefully several times this evening, courtesy of an over-enthusiastic black belt :uch:

Unless you encountered it with your head, it shouldn't be an issue, I wouldn't think.

ninjaqutie
06-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Unless you don't think you have one....

I whacked the back of my head really hard on a bunk bed at college while picking up my humidifier. I got a really bad heahache but thought nothing of it. Went to bed about 5 hours later after studying for a test. Woke up the next morning with the same headache and I was throwing up. I just couldn't keep anything down. My teacher allowed me out of the test for the morning and said I could take it later that afternoon.

Later when I was feeling better I went to take the test and told them about what happened. Both my teacher and a friend of mine who is in training to be an EMT told me that I definately had a concussion and I shouldn't have slept. Oops.

lbb
06-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I repeat, with emphasis:

Unless you encountered it with your head, it shouldn't be an issue, I wouldn't think.

Ron Tisdale
06-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Hi Mary,

Was that a double negative?

:D
B,
R

Karo
06-09-2009, 11:35 PM

I encountered it with my head as well, fortunately not too hard. My body tends to be rather floppy (I suspect hypotonia), and I have to make an effort to tense up my back and shoulders when falling, to keep everything in place and not flail around like a string puppet.

This generally works, unless I'm being thrown by a take-no-prisoners yudansha and I'm down before I even know what happened :dead:

Karo