PDA

View Full Version : Netiquette and Posting

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Ron Tisdale
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I was re-reading some of my posts from the last few weeks, and I saw this comment again, and was struck by it (not so much by the difference between know and no).

Ron glad you decided to chime in,and make criticism that are seemly out of know where, as if I was arguing directly with you.

I noticed that no one had addressed the person quoted when they decided to contribute to the thread and no one accused them of "chiming in".

My perception of posting is that people start a thread, and then others comment. Sometimes those comments spur other conversations / debates. Others join in those new conversations and debates. I was not aware that one had to have "permission" given to join, or that one needed to be invited to share their opinion on the topic under discussion.

How do others feel about this? Is the comment about 'chiming in' appropriate in this context? I'm just currious about the opinions of the general readership, and those who post.

Best,
Ron

MM
06-04-2009, 02:53 PM
My perception of posting is that people start a thread, and then others comment. Sometimes those comments spur other conversations / debates. Others join in those new conversations and debates. I was not aware that one had to have "permission" given to join, or that one needed to be invited to share their opinion on the topic under discussion.

How do others feel about this? Is the comment about 'chiming in' appropriate in this context? I'm just currious about the opinions of the general readership, and those who post.

Best,
Ron

I won't go into the other thread or the posts there. But, to the last I will grapple with thee, er aiki with thee, er debate thee ... :D (Sorry, watched STII:Wrath of Khan the other day.)

Seriously, besides Jun's rules, it's a public forum and people post as they want. They will chime in, redirect discussions, be on topic, be sarcastic, offer educational insights, offer humorous stories that cleverly hide some moral, etc. Some offer emotional points of view, some are green blooded hobgoblins like Spock.

The Internet is never a communication media, but rather an informational media.

Ron Tisdale
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Ah Wrath of Khan...haven't seen that one for a while. :)

I don't know...communication, information. I guess I view it both ways. I guess I just find the behavior mentioned above pretty foreign to both types of media.

Best,
Ron

ninjaqutie
06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
First off, I have to laugh at myself. I thought it said "ninjaquette" until I thought "WHAT?" and checked again. HAHA.

Secondly, I believe everyone has the right to give their opinion and jump in or "chime in" whenever it pleases them. That is part of a public forum after all isn't it? If they want a private convo, them PM the person....
The only thing I do NOT like to see is when people think their opinion is the ONLY right way and that all others opinions mean nothing. Hhhm..... you just gotta love it when a closed minded person offers their "humble unbiased opinion" to others and then gets mad or tries to push their ideals onto others for not seeing their point of view.

If you are standing in front of me and I hold up an apple between us, you see one side of the apple and I see another. I may see a little worm hole that isn't on your side. If I tell you what I see, does that make my statement or yours wrong? I don't think so.... no matter what side of the apple you look at, the apple will remain an apple.

Get over it people! :o/

MM
06-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Ah Wrath of Khan...haven't seen that one for a while. :)

I don't know...communication, information. I guess I view it both ways. I guess I just find the behavior mentioned above pretty foreign to both types of media.

Best,
Ron

Well, look at it this way ...

Someone new comes on and posts a few times in a thread and starts debating as the opposing point of view. Others give their point of view and then suddenly, the person just posts, "Idiot". Without further input, you have absolutely no idea of what was meant.

Now, it's me, you, Budd, and a friend of mine that only I know. We're debating back and forth and my friend has the opposing point of view. Suddenly his eyes light up in understanding, you see a smile start on his face, he gives a slight shake of his head, rolls his eyes, and then he smacks his hand on his forehead and says, "Idiot." You kind of know he finally got the point without any further input.

The Internet is not, and I can't stress that enough, not a communication media. When people think that it is, then that's when major problems start. Without the other 99% of input that comprises communication, you really only have information sharing on the Internet. Why do you think the smilies were invented? As a way of "generating" some of the other inputs that you'd normally get via direct communication.

lbb
06-04-2009, 07:50 PM
I noticed that no one had addressed the person quoted when they decided to contribute to the thread and no one accused them of "chiming in".

Your behavior was reasonable; that reaction to it was not. IMO. It wasn't some kind of a private conversation before you joined it, after all. Sometimes you will get two or three people nattering on in a public forum about something that not only is of no interest to anyone else, but that no one else can really join in (as when people use a public forum to arrange a meet-up between them, or to talk about a mutual acquaintance or make vague references to events that no one else knows about). These people need to take it to email. Otherwise, although I may address my comments in response to something you said, it's like I'm standing with a group of people at a cocktail party -- others are certainly entitled to join in even though I didn't address them directly, , and it's perfectly appropriate in the milieu.

CitoMaramba
06-04-2009, 09:13 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-qF6CbJo2vY/RxweFJkKcTI/AAAAAAAABKY/u9_zGVuYo34/s1600/kirk%2BKHAN!.jpg

KHAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist :D :D

brUNO
06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Ron,
I wouldn't take it so personal, it sounds like this person felt you took something they said and "jumped on it." even though it didn't particularly follow the topic of the thread.

(Bruno pulls out a GUN! Oh my!) "OK, I'm hijacking this thread, so nobody move! Remain calm and no one gets hurt! I'm gonna use this thread to make my own personal statement and there's not a darn thing anyone can do about it!"

As far as "netiquette" goes (I like that, BTW), I myself have been guilty of "chiming in" way over my head. This whole posting in forums thing is still new to me and I've gotten several emails from my teacher telling me to "watch my tone" and to not write so "authoritatively". He said it sounded like I was "preaching". I went back and read a few of my earliest posts ...and I'm sad to say, he was right. Apologies, ya'll, Gomenesai.

I've had the unbelievable good fortune to be audience to some wonderful teachers and I think I've been spouting their thoughts as if they were my own because I believe they are correct. Writing stuff down is almost like talking with myself and its alot different than a face2face conversation. It's a different kind of expression for me. I've always said how I feel and I don't care how people see me, but in this venue it reflects on others connected with me as well.

I love to randori. I love to debate. I thought this was a good place to do both! and it can be if done with respect. But I don't want people to think I'm an @$$hole because deep down, I'm not (but I can definitely come accross as one!). I also don't want what I post to be a negative reflection on my teachers or people I train with.

Ron, you remind me of an old Judo buddy I have. I think that you, as close as I can tell, ...are alot like ME (I mean that in the best way possible!). You are passionate about what you do and it over-rides your good sense to say what's on your mind (I've been told this countless times). I've enjoyed many of your posts, but sometimes it feels like you want to ...uh, ..."peck a foight" (quoting Braveheart). I do too, sometimes. Sometimes all the tree-hugging flowerchildren annoy the shitake outta me and I just want to "ATTACK" and stomp!!!!!

So maybe, next time you want to "peck a foight" you can do it with me and visa-versa.:D We can be net-sparring partners! Maybe PMs are the way to go, so feel free to send me one whenever!

(OK, last point, then I will hand the thread back to Ron) I used to have a mate in Ireland. We were both tech advisors for a 3D graphics software forum. We were both big beer drinkers and sometimes were both guilty of posting comments after having knocked back a few. We agreed that when we did this, we would PM the other and run it by them to see if it was OK to post. This served 2 purposes, 1) we got it out of our system and 2) we could combine our thoughts and post as the mythical advisor we called "The 3D Guru". Whatever, it kept us both outta trouble.

(Bruno throws the gun out the window and sits down)
Keep the faith, brou,

Ron Tisdale
06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Hey Bruno,

I don't necessarily take it personally, I just wondered about the double standard involved. So I was currious how others see it.

Hey, I try not to be too passionate, but I guess it still comes out sometimes. I'll think about that as I post, maybe that will tone it down some.

Thanks for the thoughts, and glad to have you here.

Best,
Ron

lbb
06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Ron, I didn't think you were picking a fight, no matter how you spell it. Calling a spade a spade != picking a fight.

Ron Tisdale
06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey, thanks Mary. You've been posting longer than I have, always respect your opinion.

Best,
Ron