View Full Version : Yesterday Dublin, today Washington DC...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

05-30-2009, 10:36 PM
... tomorrow the world!

Onegaishimasu, all you lovely people at AikiWeb! I've been reading the forums on and off for the past couple of years, and thought it was time to join, so that I can finally talk to someone who won't give me a blank look when I try to explain how cool the training was today.

I started aikido two years ago in Dublin, Ireland, with Cyril Lagrasta (whose dojo's new website was discussed
in this thread (http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1555) not so long ago - so that's how I know that at least Guillaume Erard is here *waves*).

From the beginning I felt that aikido fit perfectly with me, both on the physical and philosophical level. I also tried karate, but couldn't muster the kind of aggressive energy that is needed to hit or kick someone. But with aikido, everything was just... flowing (except, of course, the frequent beginner confusion about which hand goes where first, which foot steps in which direction, how do I NOT whack myself on the head with a jo, and other minor obstacles).

Last year I moved to Washington, DC, and after several months settling in the new city, I joined the Okinawa Aikikai dojo of Michael Veltri Sensei - who also, I've seen, has some friends here in the forums. So it's all in the family.

I've read some very good discussions here, and I'm hoping to be able to participate in many more to come :)

05-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi Karolina,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

05-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the site! :)

06-01-2009, 12:51 AM

06-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Hello and welcome Karolina. Michael Veltri Sensei is my Sempai and a very fine Aikidoka. You have made a good choice. I don't suppose you have met our Sensei Iwao Yamaguchi Sensei yet have you?

06-01-2009, 05:16 AM

and enjoy.
Home is where you blent with the mat :eek:

edit: spelling

06-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys for the warm welcome!

Ricky Wood: Yes, I liked that dojo right from the first visit. Order and efficient organization are qualities that appeal to me most (in another life I'd probably have made a good soldier :cool: ). Michael is a good instructor, his teaching is clear and logical.

I haven't had the chance to meet Yamaguchi Sensei yet, but I hope I will at some point. Other people at the dojo speak highly of the experience.

06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Czesc Karolina,
mam nadzieje ze bedzie ci sie milo cwiczylo w nowym miejscu. I powodzenia w zyciu na nowym kontynencie!