View Full Version : Back again...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

05-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Hey all,

My name is Nick Porter and back when I first started aikido, I was one of the most prolific posters on the Aikiweb fora, which were much (MUCH) smaller than they are today. Politics + college took me away from aikido for about 4 years, but I've come back to aikido full time and as such decided to come back to Aikiweb.

In my hiatus, I became a competitive amateur boxer and then boxing trainer, which opened my eyes as to the ineffectiveness of a lot of aikido (and other traditional budo) as they're practiced, but it also showed me their strengths, which I'm sure will be a source of quite a bit of lively debate in the days and weeks to come.

05-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi Nick,

Welcome back to AikiWeb. Hope your re-entry into aikido proves interesting.

-- Jun

05-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm training in a different style of aikido than what I'm used to, so it certainly should be...

05-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Welcome back!

Linda Eskin
05-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi Nick!
I'm brand new here (and to Aikido). I've been plowing through old posts/threads, and have enjoyed your contributions. It's good to know you are still here/back again. :-)

05-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey Linda/Jeremy:

Thanks for the kind words. There's part of me that wishes I could have stayed in all the way through, but boxing for 4 years was one of the best things I could have done. The way it affected my thinking and my aikido training (whenever I did get to it back in Atlanta) will make me better for it-- and the hand skills are something I think every aikidoka should train.

Also: I haven't looked through my old posts, but as I was 14-15 when I made the bulk of them, I'm gonna guess I don't want to :)

Kevin Leavitt
05-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Welcome back Nick....look forward to your post!