View Full Version : Mae Govannen

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

05-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Hello friends.
My name is Cherie aka Shadowfax on most websites. I have been reading posts here for several months after receiving a link from my good friend ,Rodger Pyle, during a conversation we were having about martial arts and horses. He sparked my interest by introducing me to a horseman by the name of Mark Rashid whose use of Aikido in his horsemanship really seemed to work with what I have been practicing as a trainer.

That and other events in my life have led me to look for something that might help me to improve both my horsemanship and myself. Aikido seems like it might just be the answer or at least a part of it.

I am an extremely green greeni having only had two classes so far, and no sports type background at all much less martial arts. I have highly enjoyed the classes so far and look forward to learning more. I train currently under Garth Jones, at Allegheny Aikido ,in Pittsburgh PA. As well as receiving valuable help and tips when I get the chance to visit Rodger's Dojo in Ohio.

I doubt I'll be posting much here for a while but I visit regularly to read and gain ideas and insight form my fellow aikidoka. But I am a log way form being capable of carrying on an intelligent conversation on the subject.:freaky: Hey its my job to be confused right? At least so Ive been told.

As I mentioned I am very involved in the horse world. Currently I am building a business as a natural hoofcare provider.. basically I give pedicures to horses. :D I also do some horse/rider training as well as my current "real" job working in the kitchen in a local restaurant.

I am looking forward to continued learning and sharing with all of you here at Aikiweb.:)

05-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi Cherie,

Welcome to aikido and to AikiWeb and thank you for your itnroduction.

-- Jun

05-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Welcome to the site Cherie! Enjoy your journey. :)

05-27-2009, 07:43 PM

Garth Jones
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Garth Jones and Tara Meyer, my other half! While we are both the same rank, Tara is actually senior to me, having started her training a year earlier.

Cherie hasn't happened to get to one of Tara's classes yet.:)

Linda Eskin
05-29-2009, 05:13 PM
... He sparked my interest by introducing me to a horseman by the name of Mark Rashid whose use of Aikido in his horsemanship really seemed to work with what I have been practicing as a trainer....

Hi Cherie!

Welcome, from one greenie to another. :-)

At this rate we're going to have to start a "horses brought me to Aikido" discussion board. ;-) I arrived at the dojo via "Horsemanship Through Life" by Mark Rashid, and have done several clinics with Mark.

Looking forward to a long journey together,

05-29-2009, 07:32 PM
My apologies to Tara, She is a wonderful teacher as well and she gave my first taste of Aikido. I have to say I'm just having a great time with this so far and that's only the first three classes.

Linda it was my friend Rodger... also a member here, who got me to attend several of Mark Rashids clinics at Equine Afair this spring. I was hooked at the first class when he stopped everything and said to the audience, "welcome, for the next hour this is my dojo and I want you to treat the students in the clinic with respect. No negative comments allowed in here." You could just feel how centered and focused every one got.

I saw the remaining three clinics that weekend by him and went home and bought nearly all of his books and read them all within a few weeks. The more I read the more I thought this Aikido stuff might be a great idea.

Rodger seemed to think it would be right up my alley as well. And I have to thank him for the encouragement to reach out and try something totally out of the box for me.

Had an amazing trail ride this evening. And I have to say I think I am already seeing the improvements in my center and ability to go with my horse more readily. We definitely need to talk horse and how our Aikido works with our riding. I am so glad to meet a fellow equestrian on here.:D