View Full Version : Montreal May seminar

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

05-13-2009, 10:33 AM
The big May seminar hosted by Aikido de la Montagne is this weekend and it looks like I'll get to go. Info at:

Note that Kawahara had to cancel for health reasons and the instructors will be Y. Yamada, P. Bernath and C. Berthiaume.

Since I started aikido I have only missed this seminar once, and I feared this year would be the second. But things have looked up!

Anybody else from the aikiweb community going? Szczepan? Gabe?

05-13-2009, 12:43 PM
yeah, I'll be there, no prob. As I developed recently no touching throws from the distance at least 10 feet, I'll try it on you personally. The Real Magic. We will some video and put on Youtube, if you agree. It will be a good starting point for next aikiweb discussion :)

Karen Wolek
05-13-2009, 02:02 PM
I will be there. :)

05-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey Szczepan,
Any students from Aikido La Forge going to be there. After all, no touch throws are best demonstrated using close direct disciples that have been trained in the correct ukemi. I wouldn't want to put my life at risk by exposing myself to your new found powers.

05-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Hi Karen, As I understand, JO is responsible to organize nice meeting of Aikiweb members on this seminar. I recommend you some practice with JO, you will remember this practice to the end of your life :) What about a Saturday aikiweb-lunch JO?
Hello JO,
Unfortunately you are my last hope, they learned immobile posture, and I can't throw them at all, with or without contact :(

05-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Well I had a good seminar. I managed to do the Friday and Saturday classes. Yamada had airplane difficulties and only showed up half way through Saturday, but Peter Bernath and Claude Berthiaume made up for this with some good classes. For me this was a seminar of familiar practice, though Peter Bernath showed some entering moves that were different from what I consider my "basics".Yamada also showed one of those impossible looking throws. I think I managed to get the gross movement down after many tries, but not much more than that.

The exams went well this year (no one failed). A member of my dojo passed his nidan. The seminar was almost worth going to just to see the four sandan exams. Four of the best exams I've seen. Made me realize how much more I have left to learn.

We never managed an aikiweb lunch, but I did train with Gabe and managed to get hit in the head at least three times by Szczepan. It's my own fault for trying to counter his techniques with my face ;)

05-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Me too, I enjoyed seminar very much. Usually it takes me an hour to break the habits from our style, but this time it was much faster. The irimi followed by half a tenkan(instead of full tenkan) that Yamada sensei stressed in different techniques was quite similar to what we call ura-senkaku(or something like that).
The practice with JO took my all energy for the rest of the day. Or may be I didn't drink enough water between the classes? LOL You became ‘heavy' attacker, JO. Do you practice in secrecy DH drills, tell me? I appreciate this difficulty very much.
I think 13-14 June there is a seminar with Sugano sensei in Kingston Aikido, are you coming? We should be back from Birankai summer camp, and will try to go.

05-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Sorry Szczepan, Elisabeth's due date is June 23 and I won't be makikg any more seminars until after the baby is born. I'm sure you'll be seeing me around sometime after that.

06-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Yup, I'll be there... err... I was there (: Only managed to train on Saturday though, and had a good time. Was good training w/JO and getting to *see* from a distance the legendary aiki-web Szcepan, though I wasn't able to get close enough to grab him.... which also saved me from being hit in the head, I suppose (; I had a good time and was good to practice techniques that vary quite a bit from my day-to-day practice.

JO -- Have you had your baby yet? If so, congratulations!!

06-21-2009, 06:18 PM
No baby yet, but the clock is ticking and my whole life feels like it's in suspension.

With us still on hold, there is now no chance of me making Claude's weapons seminar next weekend (there never was much chance anyway). It's too bad as my katas are getting rusty from lack of practice. I did buy his jo DVDs at the May seminar, but it's not the same.

Any other seminars in the area later this summer I might be able to sneak away to?