PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a dojo in Oregon

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Orihime
03-10-2002, 05:44 AM
Hi everybody !
I have got a little problem : I will soon go and stay in the USA for ten months : in Salem, Oregon. And I wish to continue Aikido there. But I have made some researchs on Internet, and I have found no dojo in Salem (some are in Portland, but this a little too far). Can someone tell me if there is one a little closer to Salem ? And I want to know, if I do Aikido in a foreign country, will it change everything (grade, for example) ?

tedehara
03-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Orihime
Hi everybody !
I have got a little problem : I will soon go and stay in the USA for ten months : in Salem, Oregon. And I wish to continue Aikido there. But I have made some researchs on Internet, and I have found no dojo in Salem (some are in Portland, but this a little too far). Can someone tell me if there is one a little closer to Salem ? And I want to know, if I do Aikido in a foreign country, will it change everything (grade, for example) ?

If you're interested there is Ki Society dojo in Salem OR. You can click here (http://www.oregonki.org/salem.html) to reach their homepage, or contact them by phone at (503) 364-9323, by email at bjonesj@open.org

Generally, if you practice in a dojo that is not the same organization as the one you got your belt ranking in, you would be considered to be grade zero. If you've got rank in Aikikai, your rank would be recognized among Aikikai dojos. If you've got rank in Tomiki Aikido then Tomiki dojos would recognize your grade. However if you have rank in Tomiki, generally an Aikikai dojo would not recognize that grade.

Chris Li
03-10-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by tedehara
Generally, if you practice in a dojo that is not the same organization as the one you got your belt ranking in, you would be considered to be grade zero. If you've got rank in Aikikai, your rank would be recognized among Aikikai dojos. If you've got rank in Tomiki Aikido then Tomiki dojos would recognize your grade. However if you have rank in Tomiki, generally an Aikikai dojo would not recognize that grade.

As a general rule, that's true, but I'd note that I've seen (for example) Aikikai dojo accept both Yoshinkan and Shodokan (Tomiki) ranks. More or less it depends on where you go.

Best,

Chris