PDA

View Full Version : 皆さんお元気でね! Hello, everyone!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Bobby Cottle
04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
I am living in Tokyo and studying Aikido with a very friendly group. We don't have our own dojo, but use several different spaces during the week. I only attend on Thursdays and Sunday afternoons, when the spaces are within bicycling distance.

I am always casually studying Japanese, but only recently started trying to learn to read. I passed the JLPT 3rd level, which is really easy, and am not looking forward to the next level, which is a lot harder. But I'm going to study for it anyway. :-)

My Aikido history is a bit spotty, since I started learning almost 20 years ago in a dojo in Kyushu. My teacher there did not give tests (at least for the lower levels), but monitored our progress in class and decided when we were ready for promotion.

I have a shodan, but during a 16 year hiatus when I went back to the States I forgot a lot. Starting up again here, I find that I need to learn a lot more formally than I was used to. I am now allowed to take the nidan test, but I am by no means ready.

I found this site because I want to get more serious and make my new teacher happy by not embarrassing myself. :o

よろしくお願いします!
~Bobby

Voitokas
04-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Welcome to the site!

akiy
04-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi Robert,

Welcome to AikiWeb and thank you for your introduction.

-- Jun

Charles Hill
04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi Bobby,

You gotta check out the smart.fm website. It`s fun, effective, and free! It will help with your Japanese skills immensely.

Charles

Bobby Cottle
04-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Interesting. I have been using http://speedanki.com/, which is also very good, but more specific. That plus reading manga with furigana. ;-)

I will definitely check out your site, too. Thanks.