PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Chat room

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Kenn
03-08-2002, 04:04 PM
Hello all,
Although I find these forums informative and entertaining, i've always been one for face to face, or at least type to type conversations. I have therefore set up a martial arts chat room via Yahoo messenger.

I invite you all to come join.

Also, Jun, I believe the idea of a chat room on this site was discussed a while back. How come nothing ever came of it?

Kenn

akiy
03-08-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Kenn
Also, Jun, I believe the idea of a chat room on this site was discussed a while back. How come nothing ever came of it?
I've looked into many different packages that contain the features that I'd like, but none really "stuck" with me. In the mean time, I got "distracted" with other projects like the new AikiWeb Aikido Dojo Search Engine (http://www.aikiweb.com/search). Don't despair, though; I'm still thinking about it.

If people have any good ideas that are cheap, preferably open source, and good, let me know.

-- Jun

Kenn
03-08-2002, 07:48 PM
Jun,

I'm not sure if it costs anything, but Volano has a great chat progam........check out www.volano.com.

real time chat, etc.

Kenn

akiy
03-08-2002, 10:43 PM
Quick check reveals Volano to be $495...

-- Jun

michaelkvance
03-09-2002, 02:38 PM
You could always just do #aikiweb on irc.openprojects.net or some such.

(I'm Briareos on that network, FWIW.)

m.

akiy
03-09-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by michaelkvance
You could always just do #aikiweb on irc.openprojects.net or some such.
Yup -- if any system, I'd probably go with IRC. I've actually toyed with running a few flavors of ircd on the AikiWeb server itself, although I've put it down for a bit to work on other projects. Good suggestion, though!

-- Jun

Chocolateuke
03-10-2002, 09:21 PM
IRc is a great option the only problem is some people might have some troble fiqure out how to get to the specific line ( ie dalnet, undernet.) I had to teach my paretnts !! oh well im a sensei of computer talk right now for my parents ( ie thx, np , afk,) I use it on games and when they watch me they are like what the heck.

akiy
03-10-2002, 10:05 PM
I do have a web-based Java IRC client so it wouldn't be a problem for folks who don't have their own clients. I've looked into places like Dalnet, Undernet, and others myself, but will probably end up just running the IRC server here on the server. I'm weighing security implications of doing such, of course, too.

-- Jun