PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone- is Aikido right for me?

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

majin29
04-15-2009, 02:18 PM
So I just joined this website to learn more about Aikido. I have trained in Tae Kwon Do and Shaolin Kung Fu for several years but that was a little while back. I would like to begin training again with a new style but I'm a little undecided. I have been checking out American Kenpo (but there are no schools near where I live) and Wing Chun (plenty of schools but not sure about the style). I found a nearby Aikido school that is reputed to be very good.

I have checked out several threads on this forum and seen various YouTube examples (with the ubiquitous responses like "Aikido doesn't have a chance against MMA"- like you are going to tussle with one of those guys on the street- please).

At this point of my life, I want something that reflects my own disposition- which is, I firmly believe most accomplished martial artists can avoid a physical confrontation 9 times out of 10. Most schools of various martial arts I have visited or studied at of course espouse this doctrine but the undercurrent of what they teach seems to run counter to this ideology. I want to study a martial art that doesn't just put this out there to attract students, I want my studying to be as philosophically entrenched as my physical training.

That said, I am genuinely asking whether Aikido has practical applications should I have to defend myself or my 4ft 11 wife (who actually is Japanese). Should I look for a school that balances the defensive elements with atemi?

The majority of members on this forum look as though they have studied this art for many years which is cool. I respect any and all opinions as I do not possess enough knowledge on this art to make an informed decision at present.

David

akiy
04-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi David,

Welcome to AikiWeb. Please note that you may get more responses to your questions outside of the Introductions forum.

-- Jun