View Full Version : Hello

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

Maarten De Queecker
04-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Good evening everyone!

My name is Maarten, I'm 21 years old and live in Belgium. I am still a student trying to get through his first year of applied linguistics (English and German) after having wasted two years studying archeology.

Among my hobbies are listening to music, watching movies/mini-series, video games, traveling and, of course, aikido.

I have been training aikido for almost two years now and the flame is still burning strong. I train twice a week -three times if I can find the time- and the progress I'm making gives me an incredible feeling of achievement. I would even say that, during those two years, aikido has had a significant influence on how I behave, think and interact with people. The art and the people I train with have also helped me through what have been the hardest two years of my life, even though they don't know that, so aikido is not a mere hobby but has become a whole way of life to me. I became a much more relaxed person and stopped letting everything annoy me.

I view aikido as a martial art and sometimes have serious questions about the views of some people on certain aspects of aikido. I do not mean to be arrogant but that is just the way I am: I question everything, it's almost out of my own control.

I train at a totally independent dojo in Ghent. We have no kyu or dan examinations. People get their hakama or black belt when sensei thinks you are ready for them.

My favourite technique is, by far, Shiho Nage, mainly because I'm rather small (1,70m, between five and six foot) and because it gives you a very good control over uke, with a nice little entrance to irimi nage in case of trouble.

I think that should about do it as an introduction. I have a tendency to get carried away when I start writing resulting in huge walls of text often devoid of any stucture, but I'm trying to work on that.

Any questions or comments, feel free to post them! With a bit of luck I will not forget about this thread and reply. :o

04-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi Maarten,

Thank you for your wonderful introduction and welcome to AikiWeb.

-- Jun

04-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Randy Sexton
04-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Spending time gathering knowledge is never a waste of time.

Welcome to the mat. It sounds as though your intellectual insight might prove interesting in our discussions.
Doc Sexton

Maarten De Queecker
04-13-2009, 10:05 AM
So I actually had forgotten about this thread.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!