View Full Version : Mayland's Intro

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

03-05-2002, 10:33 AM
I've been posting here for awhile and I've been rather remiss in not introducing myself.

Hello everyone.

I've been doing aikikai aikido for the past 8 and a bit years and other martial arts before that. I'm currently getting to experience other aikido styles by visiting other dojos and attending friendship seminars.

Currently training 4 times a week at two dojos and with the blessing of my wife (thankfully). I would be training more but I think my wife would really like me to be spending some time with family :)

Its good to see a forum where people have such a passion and interest in aikido.

A big congrats to all the contributors and Jun Akiyama.

03-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Hi Mayland,

Thank you for your introduction, and thank you for the "big congrats"! These Forums wouldn't be what they are without everyone here contributing to them -- so a "thank you" back to all of you, too!

-- Jun

03-05-2002, 06:42 PM
Hello Maryland.

I'm from Melbourne and train Iwama Ryu Aikido. But my Sensei holds both Iwama Ryu and Aikikai rankings. Regretfully I don't know much about Australian Aikido, especially Aikido in different states. I'd be really interested to learn more about your dojo.

03-06-2002, 12:10 AM
Hi Mayland and welcome...boy, your wife sounds very understanding. Either you are a great husband, or the rest of the guys would probably like to know how you manage 4 kitchen passes a week.

Jim ashby
03-06-2002, 04:50 AM
Hi Mayland and Colleen. In my case kitchen pases are easy, my wife knows where I am, what I'm doing, Who I'm doing it with and that I'll be too knackered after training to stray anyway!
Have fun.

03-06-2002, 05:23 AM
Hello Colleen

Yes I do have a wonderful wife and I think myself very lucky that she is married to me.
BTW Colleen I still have to do KP but then she does make and keep my dinner warm for me. Well I guess that's what happens when you're newlyweds. You may all let out a collective "aawwwww aint love grand" ;)

As for the dojos that I train at Mares...

I train at two dojos and both practice aikikai. The first dojo has a godan sensei and about 5 yudanshas. Classes are generally mixed grades and there are on average 20 people per class. There are 3 training session per week and I train there twice a week. The sensei is currently organising to be affiliated with his Sensei in London, Hayden Foster Sensei.

The other dojo I train at has a Sandan instructor and is affiliated with Aikido Igarashi Dojo in Japan. There are two yundansha there and the classes are much smaller but the training is very intensive.

Igarashi Sensei will be conducting a seminar over the easter break. I'm very much looking forward to it and I think I'm going to look something like this over the 4 days and in this order :) :confused: :dead:

There are other styles in Perth: Yoseikan, Yoshinkan, Kokikai and Tomiki. I've tried a little yoseikan and yoshinkan and had the pleasure of attending a seminar by Joe Thambu Sensei. Nice person, fantastic aikido. Also trained with John Turbull Sensei in Canberra for a month and a half when I was over there on work assignment. Wonderful aikido.

I'm arranging to try some kokikai and tomiki in the near future. I havent had the pleasure of trying out iwama ryu aikido yet.

Mares, If you're going to be visiting perth, drop me a line and I'll introduce you to some of the dojos and senseis.

All the best and thank you to all for a warm welcome.

Jim ashby
03-06-2002, 05:41 AM
Hey Mayland, I did a course with Sensei Haden Foster a couple of weeks ago, great Aikidoka and a very nice man. If yor Sensei trained with him you are in very good hands.
Have fun

03-06-2002, 05:54 AM
Welcome Mayland !!

Yes, your wife is wonderful.
Maybe, she can talk with my wife and explains her some little things about our Aikido passion. :D

I'm joking my wife is also wonderful, and I understand that she want to see me more often because our respective worload doens't match very well and so I train only twice per week and sometimes I'm going to seminars the week-end.

03-06-2002, 06:05 AM
Thanks Jim. That's very encouraging and my sensei is a fine and accomplished aikidoka. He's hoping to bring Hayden Foster Sensei out to Australia either later in the year or in 2003 to do a seminar. I hope he can organise it. I would very much like to to train under the watchful tutelage of Hayden Foster Sensei.

Bonjour Christophe, Comment Cava? Isnt it wonderful to have such supportive wives who encourage our passion and dedication in aikido :)

03-06-2002, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by MaylandL
Bonjour Christophe, Comment Cava? Isnt it wonderful to have such supportive wives who encourage our passion and dedication in aikido :)

Bonjour Mayland,

Ca va très bien. Merci :p

In fact, my wife had started Aikido with me (if I look for Aikido when I searched a martial art to practice is thank to her because she wanted to train with me at the same level ;)). But her job didn't allow her to train often with me and so she was disheartened. But maybe she will come back on the mats when her job will allow that.

03-06-2002, 07:07 AM
Welcome Mayland!

Speaking of wives, I'm also a newlywed (loving every minute of it), and my wife tells me that aikido just isn't her thing, but she's constantly bugging me to show her new techniques! :D She even tried to convince me to do a demo at our local bowling alley in the middle of league! But still can't convince her to come down and get on the mats. She tells me that aikido is "your thing, dear." and she not into it. :freaky: Whatever, gotta love them women.

Mike :D