View Full Version : AikiWeb Saved my Aikido Marriage

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!

04-07-2009, 09:25 AM
well sorta :D

After my previous thread on "is this Aikido?" I had a chance to go down to the home country of my old dojo and experience first hand what they were doing. I found that my current school was only teaching a minute example of what was out there, and yes there is an Aikido-like program but what I was doing at home was nothing like it. So I did the smart thing and sent my teacher an email stating why I was quitting, listed the reasons, and then went in search of a traditional Aikido dojo. After many trials and tribulations I started class last night at my new dojo.

After one class, I'm confident to say "WOW what a difference!"

The class is very laid back, mostly folks in their early to mid 30s. All easy going with one or two "hardcore" folks that like to get rough and tumble. That's fine with me coming from being the ONLY "aikido" student. There's 3 people of Shodan rank or higher with 8 other students. It feels so good to have others whom I can talk to and gain feedback from instead of being a 1 on 1.

The teacher is the genuine article as I traced back his teachers who is only 1 removed from O-Sensei. The man knows his stuff, he's patient yet firm, and very easy to talk to. The school is USAF certified with backing on the web to prove that it is legit. He's listed in their register which is another promising sign.

I'm still learning all the Japanese lingo for the moves, forms, and rituals. It's a ton to take in. The only thing I carried over from my previous training was how to fall and roll, he said that saved several months of work right there.

I'm glad I took the time and effort to post my queries to this board. Y'all answered, mostly, in a reasonable and informative fashion which allowed me to form a better opinion on what I was doing and how it didn't suit my progression as a Martial Artist.

It was heart breaking to leave my old school as I made allot of friends there, but the teacher said I am welcome back any time.

Thanks again!

Bob Blackburn
04-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Glad you found a good dojo. It makes all the difference.

04-07-2009, 10:15 AM
[...] but the teacher said I am welcome back any time.
And this by itself speaks good of your teacher.

04-07-2009, 11:31 AM
And this by itself speaks good of your teacher.

I bear him no ill will he is a good, kind, and generous man. What I wanted and what he knew were not in harmony. It happens in life and I've moved on from there.

Janet Rosen
04-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Thank you so much for your update. Glad it has worked out so well for you!

04-08-2009, 01:39 AM
It's all about the journey... It's that much better when you relax and enjoy the ride.

04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
It's all about the journey... It's that much better when you relax and enjoy the ride.

One of the things that stuck with me was the saying that one of the posters said: "You can spend 3 years with a teacher or 3 yrs looking for THE teacher" (or something along those lines). I figured I could keep on at the place I was or move on and look for something better.

The trip was worth it for the experiences alone. Climbing a mountain (3800ft up) puts things in perspective and the pictures of the scenery were amazing. I wonder how it compares to the mountains of Japan, that'll be my next reward when I hit 2nd kyu :)

Dan Rubin
04-08-2009, 01:17 PM

Thanks for your update. I was curious about how you were doing. Even though your former school did not meet your needs, I'm glad that your experience there was a positive one.